Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

School trip to Berlin

3 replies

ODFOx · 11/03/2020 13:27

I'm in two minds about DD going at the end of the month. If they were going on a coach I'd be less concerned but it's a flight.
As far as the school is concerned it's still on and there won't be a refund unless the insurance kicks in (presumably if we or Germany are locked down).
She's asthmatic but otherwise not particularly vulnerable.
Am I being paranoid?

OP posts:
Please
or

handbagsatdawn33 · 11/03/2020 14:57

She's already in close contact with people at school & public transport in this country, & I fail to see why coach is safer than 'plane.

Please
or

TheMagiciansMewTwo · 11/03/2020 15:02

I'd be surprised if it goes ahead so I wouldn't decide yet.

The chief medical officer's view is that if the virus is everywhere then the only reason not to travel is if the other country has poor healthcare. Germany's is better than our's. However they are currently slightly ahead of us on the coronavirus curve so that's worth taking into account too.

Please
or

Panicmode1 · 11/03/2020 15:05

My daughter was due to go to Spain on a school exchange tomorrow. Yesterday Madrid shut all of the schools so it had to be cancelled with less than 48 hours notice. There is currently a huge wrangle going on with insurance, because although they obviously couldn't go because the school they were exchanging with is now shut, our government haven't banned travel to Spain.

I would just wait and see what happens - it's a fast changing situation - who knows what the virus will be doing in Europe by the end of the month.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?