Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Tricky flight times with 19 month old

5 replies

problembottom · 05/03/2020 12:41

We're going to France with DD in September when she'll be 19 months. There is a flight from our local airport to an airport close to our accom but being Ryanair the flight is at 5.55am! We'd have to get her up at 4am. Just wondering if anyone else has done this with a similar aged baby - will it be an absolute nightmare? The return would mean setting off from our villa at 6am which isn't so bad but still not ideal.

The alternative would be to fly from a further away UK airport to an airport four hours drive from our destination. Much better flight times but much longer overall travel.

OP posts:
Please
or

gafferareyouthere · 05/03/2020 12:46

I prefer the early flight. Done it plenty of times with young ones, they will just nap either on the plane or in their buggy once you get to your hotel etc.

Please
or

ShyTown · 05/03/2020 13:44

I’d take the early flight from the local airport. I’ve done a lot of travel with mine and you just have to let go of the strict routine for a day. You’ll probably find she sleeps through the airport bit- around that age my DD once managed to fall asleep in an Uber and then stayed asleep in the stroller through the airport, whilst being carried through security, in the stroller again to the gate, and onto the plane. Didn’t stir until after take off when she heard the snacks come out!

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 05/03/2020 16:21

As long as she gets an early night and sleeps soundly, early morning is a great time to fly. Security lines can be shorter for early morning flights and they generally are the least crowded so there might be some spare seats. Also, if there are delays or cancellations, you’ll have more options.
Put her to bed in her travel clothes. I choose travel clothes for my dc that are comfortable, but still look like actual clothes.
About five minutes before you have to leave, lift her out of bed and straight into their coat and into the car – cuddly toy or blanket in hand. If they have a pacifier in bed, let them keep it.
Some kids might actually go back to sleep for the journey to the airport (mine didn’t). But, I’ve found they’re so stunned at being up and out that they just kind of sit there in shock. Once at the airport, pack her into your pushchair or carrier and have a drink for her handy.

By the way, if your flight leaves at 5.55am, what time are you planning on getting to the airport? I thought that 2 hours beforehand was recommended for international flights. That would make it about 4am.

Please
or

problembottom · 05/03/2020 19:48

That’s great, thanks all. DP thinks it would be unfair on her to have to wake up so early but I’m going to show him your responses as I think it would be the easier way to get there.

We’re ten minutes from the airport so I envisaged waking her at the last minute and getting there 4.15am, 4.30am latest. You’re probably right tho and now we have a baby maybe we should be less casual and get there earlier.

OP posts:
Please
or

Embracelife · 06/03/2020 23:33

You dont have to wake her
Just transfer to car seat and buggy
Put her in travel clothes take spare in hand luggage.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?