Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Barcelona in July with kids

16 replies

meluey · 29/02/2020 01:41

Hi,
We are going to a campsite in south of France for a week in July and considering a few days in Barcelona before or after. I'm concerned it will be too hot to feel like walking around although dd 11 and ds 7 would want to visit a few sites etc. Youngest dd will be 4.5. Has anyone been in July and can tell me whether it's a good or bad idea?
Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 29/02/2020 06:09

Yes, it’s toasty but it’s not unbearable, especially if you spend the middle part of the day at a beach or in one of Barcelona’s many parks. Do the sights early in the day or late afternoon and evening. The air-conditioned aquarium could also be done at the hottest part of the day, but is open until 7.30 and will be less busy then.

Please
or

yorkshireteaspoonie · 29/02/2020 06:45

I went in July last year and it was 32 degrees, I was so hot and there's a lot of walking to be done. I don't have kids so can't recommend anything on that front but I'd say def don't take them to the beach! It's rammed with pick pockets, beach sellers a not a moments peace.

Please
or

NCTDN · 29/02/2020 09:10

We went a few years ago in August. It was hotter than the usual average temp and such a shame because some parts were unbearable. It was still worth doing though. The best part was that we went to the Olympic stadium and they do all activities. We did the 100m sprint in the track which was great!

Please
or

NCTDN · 29/02/2020 09:10

Definitely do the open top hop on hop off bus as that saves huge amounts of walking.

Please
or

meluey · 29/02/2020 16:30

Thanks very much for the feedback. Will definitely do the hop on hop off bus tour if we decide to go, great tip. The aquarium is a good idea for getting out of the sun for an afternoon too. Pity the beaches are a no go, I wonder would we miss having a pool to go back to in the afternoons...

OP posts:
Please
or

yorkshireteaspoonie · 29/02/2020 19:43

Our city hotel (europark hotel near the sagrada familia) had a roof top pool. Given, it was a more 'adult' style hotel but I think there are quite a few hotels with roof top pools about so it might be possible to find one suitable for kids

Please
or

BabbleBee · 29/02/2020 19:46

We stayed just outside Barcelona last year, easy bus ride in. No problems on the beaches, we must’ve been out of the really touristy bit. We got a taxi to take us to the sights, he agreed an all day price which was cheaper than the bus. Loved it there!

Please
or

meluey · 01/03/2020 01:27

@BabbleBee that sounds fantastic. Would you mind telling me where you stayed?

OP posts:
Please
or

meluey · 01/03/2020 01:30

@yorkshireteaspoonie thanks, I'll have a look for hotels with pools

OP posts:
Please
or

BabbleBee · 01/03/2020 07:18

@meluey we stayed in Mataró, but camping rather than a hotel. The beach was tiny, but kids loved it as it was good for snorkelling.

Please
or

windmill26 · 13/04/2020 23:05

@BabbleBee I just sent you a pm :)

Please
or

wheresmymojo · 13/04/2020 23:08

I don't mean to be a spoilsport...but do you mean this July or next July?

I can't see overseas travel happening this July...

Please
or

wheresmymojo · 13/04/2020 23:09

Have just noticed this thread is from early March before some people realised. Ignore!

Please
or

Sunndowne · 01/06/2020 22:42

so we need to take our DD probs in July to start her uni Year abroad. We need to find her a flat in the eixample area and want to stay there 2/3 weeks in hotel/air b'nb or preferably an apartment with a pool.

We did stay in one a few years ago but it seems a bit expensive now .

Hotels with kitchen facilities? Who knows Barcelona?

We want to go but safely with social distance etc in place.

Please
or

SingingGoldfinch · 01/06/2020 22:53

www.bedandbeachbarcelona.com - stayed here a couple of times. It's great!

Please
or

Sunndowne · 02/06/2020 00:15

Thanks. Looks nice but possibly not location as we want DD to walk to her job in Eixample Any more ideas people?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?