Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel insurance for partner of pregnant person

6 replies

Seventytwoseventythree · 16/02/2020 21:54

Hello,

My husband will be travelling to a wedding in Europe when I am 37 weeks pregnant. He will come back if I go into labour but it will be expensive and obviously we are trying to save. Does anyone know of travel insurance which will cover his return under these circumstances? I have been looking but everything is for pregnant women and I won’t be going.

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

delilahbucket · 16/02/2020 21:58

Unless it's a medical emergency he won't be covered to fly back if you go into labour.

Please
or

attatiti · 16/02/2020 22:06

I should think the insurance company would view you going into labour at 37 weeks as a foreseeable event.

Please
or

Seventytwoseventythree · 16/02/2020 22:09

Thanks I was worried that might be the case. Oh well.

OP posts:
Please
or

yikesanotherbooboo · 16/02/2020 22:47

Very hard to imagine this being covered by insurance.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 16/02/2020 23:46

He wouldn't be able to get back in time anyway for the birth, unless it's slow. It's really not a good time for him to go away - about 25% are born before 38 weeks.
My DH did go away for a wedding when I was due with Ds3 (when I was abut 37 weeks), but my last 2 children were induced at 41 weeks.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 17/02/2020 08:30

He might get back in time, depending on where to and from, frequency of flights and how much money he's prepared to throw at it.

Eg there will be several flights a day from somewhere like Paris, Malaga etc to London or another major UK airport - he could be back in 4-8 hours if he sets off to the airport and books a flight while en route.

Obviously if it's in a smaller Eastern European country with 2 flights a week, much less likely.

But no, you won't get travel insurance to cover this risk, and if you did, it would probably cost as much, if not more than a flight booked at short notice, so if you go into labour while he's away, he's just going to have to suck up the cost.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?