Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travelling to Holyhead tomorrow for ferry - what happens if there are problems?

6 replies

Mercedes · 14/02/2020 13:39

We've got SailRail tickets to go from Euston to Dublin but there's a storm forecast for what seems like most of the week-end.

I called irish ferries for advice and they said there will be no delays tomorrow but somehow I don't believe this. What I don't know is what happens when we get to Holyhead - what happens when ferries are delayed or cancelled / where do we go?

Has anyone been in this position?

OP posts:
Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 14/02/2020 13:42

Unless it’s massive it’ll run and be very rough.

Please
or

peachgreen · 14/02/2020 13:48

Check the T&Cs with your specific company. Mostly you don't get much if it's caused by weather conditions and you're expected to make our own arrangements.

Please
or

Mercedes · 14/02/2020 14:37

It's not the money. I just don't want to sit in Holyhead for the weekend and there's gales forecast for Sat & Sunday!.

Once we get to Dublin we've got onward travel to do.

OP posts:
Please
or

peachgreen · 14/02/2020 15:21

Yeah, you'd have to make your own arrangements for accommodation afaik. Not much you can do unfortunately - if it's not safe to sail, you can't sail.

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 14/02/2020 15:23

But a PP is correct. They do still sail when its very rough.

Please
or

Funf · 17/02/2020 08:28

I was near Holly head at the weekend 50MPH winds but it still sailed! Rather you than me

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?