Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Somewhere relaxing after busy New York?

17 replies

edgewater · 11/02/2020 16:45

I am thinking a 3 night cruise to the Caribbean but has anyone got a suggestion of somewhere else to go. Don’t want Orlando and actually would prefer not to fly to the other destination. Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

HulksPurplePanties · 11/02/2020 16:47

From New York? Halifax, Nova Scotia

Please
or

HulksPurplePanties · 11/02/2020 17:06

It's a day drive. Same temperature. Beautiful landscape & friendly people. You will not regret. And you can fly back to most airports in the UK from there.

Please
or

edgewater · 11/02/2020 19:31

Thank you. Will definitely look.

OP posts:
Please
or

PARunnerGirl · 11/02/2020 19:35

You can get high-end/ luxury in the Hamptons and might get a bit more for your money than a cruise. It depends what you like to do but if you like cute towns, vineyards, lovely restaurants then this would be good. I like the NYC/ Hamptons combination.

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 12/02/2020 08:31

Nova Scotia is about 800 miles distant from NYC and you would also need an eTA (electronic travel authorisation) to enter Canada.

I would have a look at visiting some of the towns on Long Island as well; the outer reaches of Long Island are very nice to see. Train services operate via the LIRR out to Long Island.

Please
or

Gr3yCl3y · 12/02/2020 19:04

Cape Cod?

Please
or

mummymeister · 13/02/2020 10:43

Boston - fantastic city or anywhere in New England really depending on the time of year.

Please
or

Gr3yCl3y · 13/02/2020 14:10

Boston is a bit of a let down after NYC and not that relaxing.

Please
or

LizziesTwin · 13/02/2020 14:12

Cruise to Bermuda? Not too far and lovely beaches. It’s a round trip 6 day cruise I think.

Please
or

LizziesTwin · 13/02/2020 14:13

The Hamptons is INCREDIBLY expensive.

Please
or

Sidge · 13/02/2020 14:28

Key West? You’d need to fly though unless you fancy a long drive.

Please
or

Belindabelle · 13/02/2020 20:00

Cape Cod or up to Maine. We stayed at Kennebunkport and Camden. I think you can get the train if you don’t want to drive. The Hamptons would be a similar vibe and closer to NYC. Also take a look at Rhode Island.

Please
or

99victoria · 13/02/2020 22:54

You can get a train to Boston from New York (about 4 hours) then take a boat to Provincetown, Cape Cod. Very relaxing, friendly, pretty place to stay. We spent 2.5 days there last year

Please
or

thefemaleJoshLyman · 14/02/2020 19:26

We went to Boston and Cape Cod after NY. Cape Cod was really relaxing. We got the train to Boston and hired a car.

Please
or

Ilikewinter · 14/02/2020 19:29

We did 7 night cruise to Bermuda with NCL, fantastic holiday, as relaxing as you want it to be.

Please
or

Gr3yCl3y · 15/02/2020 05:34

We did Cape Cod after NYC. Loved it and v relaxing. Think I’d go for Chatham/ Brewster area though as quicker to get to from NYC if driving. Wouldn’t bother with Boston as you haven’t got much time. I’d just get to the Cape.

Please
or

Chemenger · 15/02/2020 08:35

I love Halifax, but it’s a very long way from New York. A 13 hour drive.

I would recommend going up the Hudson River valley then over to the Catskills.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?