Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone familiar with Paris?

6 replies

jobnockey · 07/02/2020 15:12

Hi there, thinking of having a 2 night stay in Paris in August (we're driving further down but thought we'd park up somewhere on a train route like Rouen, and get a train in to avoid having to drive in).

Any suggestions on areas to look for somewhere to stay in, or any accommodation recommendations? We're on a budget so cheap and cheerful is good for us, will consider hostels so long as we can have a private room (2 adults and one 11 yo). Have had a look at airbnb but haven't seen that many cheap options to be honest but again, didn't really know which areas to focus on.

We live in London but have no knowledge of Paris at all... and have visions of booking a hotel in the equivalent of Stockwell or something....

If we do get the train from Rouen we'll get in to Gare St Lazare, so either near there, or an easy metro journey form there would be ideal.

Anyone out there able to help???

Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Please
or

jobnockey · 07/02/2020 21:13

Anyone?

OP posts:
Please
or

soundsg00d · 07/02/2020 23:01

If you don't mind a chain hotel, we stayed in the Holiday Inn express canal de la Villette which is pleasant area - a bit cheaper than the central hotels but an easy metro ride into the city centre. Not particularly handy for St Lazare though

Please
or

jobnockey · 08/02/2020 09:51

Thank you, I’ll take a look. Don’t mind a chain hotel at all! Rather partial to a premier inn but they don’t seem to have them in France...!

OP posts:
Please
or

clary · 08/02/2020 10:41

In case you don't know, Paris is divided into numbered arondissements, the higher the number, the further out you are. So 1-2-3-4 are v central, 4 is the Marais which is lovely but pricey. 5-6-7 are south of the river. Eiffel tower is in the 7th. St lazare is in 8th I think, so that might be good. Also often cheaper IME are 10 and 11. 20 also good if you get the edge near 11th. Don't worry about the area, you're not living there!

Personally I would avoid anywhere outside the peripherique (ring road) - bit like visiting London and staying in Cockfosters.

If you need ideas of what to do let me know! Grin Love Paris.

Please
or

StCharlotte · 08/02/2020 19:33

We stayed here last time. Literally two minute's walk from Gare St Lazare.

It's quite a nice area and we walked to the city centre from there and also walked to Montmartre but there's a Metro station at the station if you don't fancy a route march! Only a couple of stops to Concorde and Invalides.

all.accor.com/hotel/A8R1/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

Please
or

jobnockey · 09/02/2020 18:43

Thanks so much! Feel like I know where to start now!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?