Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

India

8 replies

MrsJoshNavidi · 04/02/2020 18:52

DD is travelling to India for a spot of back packing for a month, but she's getting conflicting advice re vaccinations from GP, Boots travel and local travel clinic.

Have you been? What vaccinations did you get?

Or are you a vaccinations expert? What would you advise?

Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

sleepismysuperpower1 · 04/02/2020 20:10

the NHS website says you need MMR, Diphtheria; Hepatitis A; Tetanus; Typhoid (boosters if you already have them),Hepatitis B and Rabies, which sounds like what I was given before I went a few years ago. link to the website here

Please
or

MrsJoshNavidi · 04/02/2020 20:13

Thanks - we looked at the NHS website -

GP says she needs Japanese encephalitis - but it's not on the website. We're wondering how necessary that, and also rabies is.

OP posts:
Please
or

sleepismysuperpower1 · 04/02/2020 20:17

I definitely did get the rabies one, there are lots of stray dogs (depending on where you go) so I wouldn't want to take the risk. Japanese encephalitis is a Selectively advised vaccines, so only for those individuals at highest risk. it might be worth asking the GP why she suggested giving that one? It might be that there is a specific reason

Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 05/02/2020 05:25

I live in China and have therefore had every vaccination there is!
I have visited India and recommend being up to date with childhood jabs and also get typhus and hep B.

rabies- as previous poster mentioned lots of stray dogs and also monkeys. Am sure you dd is sensible not to touch any wild/stray animals, but I have had a monkey jump on me and hang on (not in India, but Indonesia) so there are still risks.
I only need boosters every three years for rabies, but originally I think it was three jabs over a few weeks so planning the vaccinations is also important.

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 05/02/2020 05:36

Yes to rabies.
My sister went last year to finalise her yoga training and there were dogs everywhere.

Also off topic, but there is quite a high rate of rape in India compared to other countries, so she must be really aware of that, even on night train, so much that there is an information sheet on what to do if raped in india on the UK government page.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/rape-and-sexual-assault-in-india-information-for-victims/india-information-for-survivors-of-rape-and-sexual-assault

Please
or

Ilovethekitties · 05/02/2020 05:38

I went and got everything on the NHS website.

Rabies is a must, there is a lot of wild animals, pigs and dogs mainly that might bite

Please
or

porridgeface · 05/02/2020 05:56

I travel a lot for work and have to see medical staff for travel advice/ vaccinations every time it's a new country. Pretty sure I've seen them checking this site

travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/105/india#Vaccine_recommendations

Please
or

MrsJoshNavidi · 05/02/2020 18:22

Thanks porridge

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?