Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flight socks: Yay or nay?

9 replies

InOtterNews · 03/02/2020 14:22

Have flown long-haul before but never bothered with flight socks before as flights were always broken by stop-over and me being awake to get up and stretch my legs.

Flying to Australia (via Singapore) and because my first flight is at night I'm hoping to be able to sleep (unlikely for the whole 13 hours but who knows) - should I invest in fight socks?

OP posts:
Please
or

RhubarbBikini · 03/02/2020 14:33

Personally I would tale some with you.

I have never bothered in the past, then last time I flew back from Singapore my foot became incredibly swollen to the point it caused nerve damage in my toes, they were completely numb for a number of weeks.

It's not put me off booking long haul flights for this summer, but I will be taking flight socks with me this time.

Please
or

DazedandConcerned · 03/02/2020 14:36

Go for it! I had a DVT from a flight from Australia to Canada, so with that distance and an overnight flight I'd recommend them. If nothing else it's peace of mind.

If you are flying Qantas there are exercises on the in flight entertainment you can to to prevent DVT.

Please
or

SeaToSki · 03/02/2020 14:39

Yes.

I have ones that only have the compression on the calves, so you can still wiggle your toes. They are much more comfy. I have them in my carry on and just put them on when I am on the plane waiting for boarding to finish.

It makes a big difference for me, and its really low effort!

Please
or

Whitney168 · 03/02/2020 14:41

Apart from the fact that they're a cheap and easy way to avoid a possible health risk ... makes a huge difference for me, my feet used to swell so much I thought they'd burst if I knocked them LOL. No issues at all when I wear flight socks.

Please
or

InOtterNews · 03/02/2020 15:16

You are all right - I'll get a pair

OP posts:
Please
or

DazedandConcerned · 03/02/2020 16:08

If you have any risks associated with blood clots you can get them on prescription from the NHS. Just FYI.

Please
or

crustycrab · 03/02/2020 16:11

They are so much more expensive for the NHS to buy and you can get them for cheaper than the cost of a prescription. Yes, don't risk not wearing flight socks

Please
or

DazedandConcerned · 03/02/2020 17:37

Mine were much more expensive than a cost of the prescription. So I think it depends on your risk factors. Mine were measured for, etc...

Please
or

honeyrider · 03/02/2020 20:57

My sister got a DVT on a flight from Liverpool to Dublin, she had flown from Dublin to Liverpool two days earlier. When she got off the plane in Dublin she was complaining about a pain in her calf.

As the week went on she said the pain was getting worse and when the pain moved to her thigh she went to her GP who sent her straight to A&E.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?