Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is this doable or just mad?!

11 replies

Doggotired · 03/02/2020 13:07

Hi, we have a wedding to go to in Chicago at the end of March, it’s a Friday. We wanted to go Thursday to Sunday.... with jet lag and travelling time is this just stupid?! Can’t take kids and can’t leave them longer than 3 days. Have never been to the US or anywhere where jet lag occurs so I don’t know if to attempt it or not? Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Doggotired · 03/02/2020 13:08

Oh and we are in the uk! That is probably necessary info 🙄

OP posts:
Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 04/02/2020 03:54

Is it possible? Yes. Is it enjoyable? Maybe not. Is it worth it? Debatable. How well do you know the people? If it’s a sibling you are close to and that’s all the time you can spare then go for it. If it’s an old school friend you are in touch with on Facebook then I wouldn’t bother.

Before I moved here I would come to see my now-husband whenever I could, sometimes for 3 days if that’s all the time I had. And that was the west coast. I came here over 40 times before I moved so I got used to it. I went back to England for the first time in over a year recently and the journey was horrendous. I kept thinking to myself “I can’t believe I used to do this every month”.

Please
or

pauapaua · 04/02/2020 03:57

I've done that to Chicago from Friday to Sunday, as long as you stay awake when you get there until normal bedtime US time and then eat dinner on the plane and sleep all the way back you'll be fine.

Please
or

TanteRose · 04/02/2020 04:01

I once went from Japan (where I live) to South of France for a long weekend for a relative's milestone birthday.
It was fine - just power through, its almost too short for jetlag to kick in

• you'll be exhausted once you get home, though
Please
or

mrbob · 04/02/2020 04:04

I think it depends a little on the journey each end. If you are close to the airport and so is the wedding AND you can sleep on planes then I say do it!

Please
or

RiddleyW · 04/02/2020 04:05

I recently flew to an event on the west coast USA and was away only two nights - one of which was on the plane. It actually worked brilliantly - I did a day flight there (so left about 10am uk time arrived about 2 pm their time). Went to the event that night and flight home following day overnight. Zero jet lag!

Please
or

pauapaua · 04/02/2020 04:06

- you'll be exhausted once you get home, though

Japan to the south of France for a long weekend ? I'd say you were crazy but I did Auckland to London for four days once Blush

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 04/02/2020 08:47

Shouldn’t be a massive issue. I did New York and back with one night stop for work. Also did a similar trip to Johannesburg - slightly easier as similar time zone.

My brother did West coast states to Ireland for a weekend just pulled an all-nighter on the second night and sept on the plane. Helped he was upgraded to first class. He flies a lot though and highest level points member.

Please
or

Honeyroar · 04/02/2020 08:50

I’m cabin crew and do trips like that pretty much every week. You actually won’t get jet lag that badly after a short trip, it’s more normal tiredness.

Please
or

Doggotired · 04/02/2020 16:05

Ahhh thank you every one! Good to know it’s doable, I reckon I can sleep on the plane on the way back fingers crossed so hopefully it will work out. It’s my partners best friend getting married so really have to go... well at least he does 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

FinallyHere · 04/02/2020 16:14

Agree it's more normal tiredness.

I've done it a few times to speak at conferences. Don't v plan to get much done on the few days when you return. If you can allow yourself a few days holiday before going back to work

(DC don't really count as work in this context ). 😀

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?