Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Going travelling with children over Christmas

7 replies

Ridingthecrestofawave · 31/01/2020 21:31

So we're thinking of taking our children out of school for around 4 weeks, either side of the school holidays at Christmas to go travelling to SE Asia for around 6 weeks total (spoke to school who agree to be quite supportive and are taking parental leave off work). DC's will be 10 and 8 and it's the last opportunity before secondary school. We have a family contact over there so a week (? Christmas) will be spent with them but this will not be the present filled, excess traditional UK Christmas obviously (which could be a good thing?!)
Just wondering what thoughts were on children having a non Christmassy Christmas away from home for children, negatives and positives??

OP posts:
Please
or

stripeyshoe · 31/01/2020 21:50

My dd is 6 she's been away from U.K. for 5 christmases.
We are from the U.K. but don't have much family so go away every year. FWIW I love Christmas but I really like going away to escape the hustle and bustle.
Where are you going? That will make a difference. If it's somewhere cold it's less obvious you're away than if it's hot.

We personally just go with whatever's on offer in whatever country we are in. We don't put pressure on the 'classic Christmas dinner' but we always go out for a meal on the day etc.

As for dd we always take a spare suitcase and buy stuff out there for presents but the main big ones will usually be left at home. We try to buy interesting presents from the local area that will be happy memories on our return. She's got quite an interesting collection of toys to say the least!

Please
or

Ridingthecrestofawave · 31/01/2020 21:56

Thank you Stripey, that's helpful. We'd be in Asia so it'll be hot and unchristmassey. We'll be travelling around so have limited ability to buy/carry presents...

OP posts:
Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 01/02/2020 00:36

I bet the school is livid behind the face they are putting on. All that unauthorised absence when you could travel in the summer holidays.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 01/02/2020 06:50

I must admit that was my thought too as well if it’s your last chance before secondary, assumably your 10 year old is Year 6 with SATS coming up. However, its obviously something already arranged rather than a ‘should we?’ so not to be unhelpful, it’ll be fine. My parents moved countries 4 times before I was 18 and we had Christmas Day in hotels, restaurants, clubs and even a beach or two. It’s a bit odd and yes it isn’t your typical Christmas Day as a kid but no reason you can’t still make the Christmas period fun and Christmassy with some imagination. Agree with packing/buying small things and I’d probably have a Christmas Day Mark 2 when you get back with the main presents, turkey, sprouts etc! It’s only one Christmas after all and I’m sure they’ll remember it.

Please
or

stripeyshoe · 01/02/2020 08:15

If the school are supportive I personally would take school work out there as well as 6 weeks is a fair amount of times for dc to forget school exists. I know your dc may not be so keen though Grin

I think you're doing the right thing though OP my parents travelled extensively when I was in primary school and that stopped when I went to high school. It changed my life for ever when I was old enough I started travelling immediately as I missed it.

Also if you really want to see a Christmas tree or something to remind you it's Christmas 5* western hotel chains put Christmas on in most countries and you can usually just lounge about in the bar to get a fix of the place without forking out for rooms so definitely worth considering if you pine for the usual Christmas routine at any point.

Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 01/02/2020 13:37

Agree with previous posters than western hotels or big chains will do a Xmas lunch or Xmas eve event. We have had several Xmas days away in Vietnam, Australia and India. India was great with an amazing event at the hotel in Jaipur complete with Santa and stockings left outside your room Xmas day.
We usually have Xmas at home before we go or when we return and take a few small gifts for Xmas day.
We live in China so every Xmas is non-Christmassy, but dh takes the day off, we go out for lunch or dinner and play family games - all good fun and without stress.

Please
or

Ridingthecrestofawave · 02/02/2020 11:14

Thanks for the replies. 10 year old DC is one of the older ones in his year so will be in year 5 so not SATS year no hence why it's now or never.
Not really great to travel in the summer as it's the rainy season in Asia.
School did seem really supportive!
Some great tips re accessing a bit of Christmas and what to do re celebrations. Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?