Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lone parent holiday advice

11 replies

Mumtwo124 · 29/01/2020 19:58

I'm considering going on holiday with my daughter for say 5 days during may/june. She's 2 and i'll be taking her alone (lone young parent) so i'd like to go somewhere safe & where it will be accessable to travel around. I don't think i'll be able to hire a car as I won't have been driving long enough so will need to rely on public transport where ever i go.

Want to keep within Europe & not looking to spend a fortune. Has anyone got any idea's where is reasonable, things for toddlers, nice beaches & hot.

Also, I'm not so concerned about when I'm there, but I worry about luggage on the plane. I'd have to take the pushchair (fairly lightweight one) but will also have all our luggage on top of that and will need to carry it alone. And, how would I get to my accommodation from the airport as I won't have a child seat with me, can these be requested in taxi's? I suppose it wouldnt matter if i was getting the train / bus but if there's not one avaiable i would need to rely on a taxi? :)

OP posts:
Please
or

Pipandmum · 29/01/2020 20:22

You won't need that much luggage for five days. A rucksack and small suitcase will do. You can push a pushchair and pull the suitcase.
It's legal to do short journeys (like a taxi) without a car seat. Public transport tricky due to stairs and crowds - even negotiating London transport is difficult let alone in an unfamiliar country. I travelled with my one year old to Barcelona and it was ok - though very long walk to luggage carousel (where pushchair was) and my child wasn't yet walking and i was pregnant.
Of course if you are hiring a car you request a child seat in advance.

Please
or

adviceneededon · 29/01/2020 20:39

I took my then 2 year old to Ibiza alone. Went to a place called Es Cana and it was lovely, I felt very safe. We went all around the island on public transport.

Only issue with the Balearics might be the time of year you want to go. You might have better weather in mainland spain. Don't worry about being alone, there will be plenty other lone parents around and you'll probably spot them after a day or two.

Luggage is a pain, but there are trolleys at the airport so use one and keep the buggy up until security.

Biggest issue I found was going to the toilet. The loos in Spain are ridiculously small, and the majority of time in the evening my daughter was fast asleep in the pram. I quickly discovered the only way I could pee was to wheel the buggy into the toilet and then use that to prop the door open. Very undignified. Eventually I found another lovely single mum and we took it in turns to watch the kids whilst we went to pee!

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 29/01/2020 20:48

There's a train from Malaga airport along the coast, so no taxi needed if you find somewhere close to the station.

Please
or

Changeembrace · 29/01/2020 20:54

Menorca
Perfect

Please
or

Mumtwo124 · 29/01/2020 22:11

Thank you! will definately have a look at those places! @Pipandmum I had no clue that was the case with taxi's but that might partially solve the problem

OP posts:
Please
or

MinnieMountain · 30/01/2020 18:27

I would never travel without a car seat. It's not like a magic bubble protects the taxi on short journeys.

Please
or

Funf · 31/01/2020 16:40

Could you not take a friend? The logistics are a hard but do able, what about a cruise? We have seen a few single mums on a cruise and the staff treat babies like royalty.

Please
or

loutypips · 31/01/2020 16:45

Benalmadena is close to Malaga airport, and has excellent public transport. Very easy to get around and lots of things to do.
Whilst I love menorca, really need a car to get around there.

Are you looking at going with a holiday company? If so, they would arrange transfers for you.

Please
or

Leflic · 31/01/2020 18:16

Nice? Cheap flights. The airport is literally at the top of town. They have put in tram now but I have walked up the Pommonade d Anglais right into the airport. Flat town and easy for a buggy. Lots of parks and kid friendly spots.
The massive beach is pebbles but 5 miles up the road is the next town Villefranche. Easy to bus it. It has a small sandy type ( tiny shells) beach and is stunning.I’d say stay there in a heartbeat but it will be expensive and away from the sea it’s very very steep.
Don’t go when the Grand Prix is due which is usually May.
The train goes all the way to Italy in one direction via Monaco.All the way to St Tropez in the other. So you can mooch or visit places.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 31/01/2020 19:14

Nice would indeed be a good option! As above, Villefranche is nice, very close and the beach is nicer for small people than Nice itself. I was a single parent for 10 years and took my DD all over. Initially it’s a bit daunting but you get into the swing quick! Use Hoppa to pre book transfers and ask them re a car seat. Apartments are easier than hotels (as you have a separate space when your DC is sleeping to watch tv etc) but if you are going for a hotel, make sure you have a balcony to sit out on at night (otherwise you are stuck in the same room in the dark with the DC wanting to play with you!). Barcelona is another good suggestion. I always use to worry about sticking out in places full of families but people are generally kind. If you go for a hotel, check TripAdvisor to check it’s family orientated - once went on a nightmare holiday were everyone else seemed to be on an 18-30 break! If is family orientated there will be other small kids for your DC to play with.

Please
or

Crockof · 31/01/2020 19:20

If you are concerned I'd book a package deal through TUI as then you get support on resort also coach transfers. You can take a booster seat in hand luggage and you get a decent weight of luggage.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?