Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Vaccinations needed for Kenya?

10 replies

Lemonsaretheonlyfruit · 27/01/2020 12:26

Hi. Just booked to go to Kenya in April (part safari the rest beach with a stop in Nairobi). There seems to be a fair but of conflicting information re vaccinations and if they are necessary. It will 2 DC (9 and 12) and me. Has anyone got up to date knowledge or experience of this please ? I assume we will need malaria pills too. Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/01/2020 12:32

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/kenya

Also speak to your practice nurse as they often run a travel clinic and can advise which vaccines you should get

Please
or

LesLavandes · 27/01/2020 12:36

It is all on the internet

Please
or

Lemonsaretheonlyfruit · 27/01/2020 12:41

@dementedpixie - thanks very much Smile

@LesLavandes yes I am aware the internet has plenty of information! I have spent the last half hour looking at various pieces of advice on the internet, but as I mentioned in my post, the reason I was asking on Mumsnet is because it's all quite conflicting, hence asking if anyone has been there recently and give a straightforward answer.

OP posts:
Please
or

LochJessMonster · 27/01/2020 12:43

We went about 10 years ago (safari+beach) and I think we only had yellow fever vaccs. We didn't have the rabies one.

Please
or

takemetomars · 27/01/2020 12:58

you will need to look at Nathnac for advice if you live in England. Fit for travel is a Scottish site. There Re reasons for this which are sensible but a little political so won't go into details.
You should have Hep A and typhoid, ensure your dip/tet/polio is in date and depending on exactly where you are staying, you may need Yellow fever. and malaria prophylaxis
I am a Practice Nurse and Travel advice is part of my role

Please
or

takemetomars · 27/01/2020 12:59

You do need a proper assessment though

Please
or

LesLavandes · 27/01/2020 13:27

Well. I have been to Kenya 5 years in a row and didn't find it difficult to sort. So either book an appointment with your practice nurse or at Boots. You will definitely need Malerone for the coast. It is very pricey if you are a family

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 27/01/2020 14:40

Our Dr has a travel clinic. You complete a form regarding where you are going and they tell you what you need regarding jabs and pills. The bad news is it takes forever for them to do it and then there are no appointments left so you have to go private! So look it up yourself and then pay if your GP is as useless as ours!

Please
or

wonkylegs · 27/01/2020 15:11

In addition to the above I would say check you have all your standard immunisations.
I didn't have the TB one as child (long story) and visited Kenya as an adult - guess what I brought back with me 😫
TB treatment is yuck.
Visit either your GPs travel clinic or a travel clinic and they can advise you best for your situation.

Please
or

followingonfromthat · 27/01/2020 15:19

It's a few years back, but we had jabs for typhoid and yellow fever, plus a check that our tetanus and others were up to date, as if they hadn't been, we would have needed them too. Didn't have the cholera one, as the region was free of it at the time.

You need the jabs in advance of your trip and you will also need to start taking the malaria stuff well before you go, so speak to your gp surgery now and they will be best placed to advise you.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?