Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

When to buy Euros???

12 replies

clareykb · 25/01/2020 15:30

Off to France at half term and have some Euros on a prepaid card from a previous trip, however we do need to top it up. Anyone who is financially savy, do you think we are better topping it up this week or waiting until after Brexit???

OP posts:
Please
or

Hoghgyni · 25/01/2020 18:10

I'm in a quandary about this too, as DD is about to go on a trip to Berlin. I went to the Post Office this morning intending to buy some, but the rate was dire. I may hedge my bets and buy half this week, half next.

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 25/01/2020 19:51

Just take a starling card and take them out in France.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 27/01/2020 06:38

You're likely to get a better rate using a Starling Card and spending/withdrawing while you're there rather than buying them now or topping up the prepay card even if the rate moves against you a little. The prepay card will have some costs - obviously use what's already on it, but I don't know why people bother with these any more when there's much better examples, Starling being the best.

Apply today and you'll have the card and account set up by the end of the week.

As far as predicting the way the euro's going to move, you may as well toss a coin, even the most talanted financial minds don't know the answer to that one, that's why they're called Hedge funds, because all they're doing is hedging their bets.

Please
or

Hoghgyni · 27/01/2020 09:32

I think I'm over analysing because I deal with hedging professionally, whereas the difference on £100 or thereabouts will be negligible! Unfortunately DD is a teenager, so she can't have s Starling card.

Please
or

girlywhirly · 27/01/2020 23:16

We get cash currency from no.1currency.com. Better rate than many of the banks/post office, you order online, choose a collection office locally and pay on collection, usually next day. You don’t reveal your credit card number online, only the type of currency and how much. The rate tonight was 1.169

Please
or

FoxRedBitch · 27/01/2020 23:19

The rate is so much better than it has been for the last couple of years. Shopping in France last year was so expensive!

Fingers crossed it continues to improve!! I think it will get better as we go through the year but dip again later when it comes closer to the end of the transition period.

Please
or

bubblesforlife · 27/01/2020 23:20

Order a Monzo card. No fees!
It’s a game changer.

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 27/01/2020 23:22

I've been topping my prepaid card up every week. It was still 113 last week so I don't know how much its dropped. I also have a monzo card so will add to that. I'm not away until July though.

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 27/01/2020 23:24

Its 116. That's a good rate (TUI) I'm going to get some more this minute.

Please
or

JassyRadlett · 27/01/2020 23:26

As we’re leaving with a deal there shouldn’t be any currency fluctuations over the next month - unless things go south (or unexpectedly well) on the trade deal between now and then.

Please
or

PhoneLock · 27/01/2020 23:36

Order a Monzo card. No fees!
It’s a game changer.

Monzo do charge fees outside the EU though.

The Starling Bank card doesn't and could be a better option if you are likely to travel to the EU and further afield.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 28/01/2020 09:00

Monzo also charge if you withdraw more than £200 in cash in a month.

Not a problem if you go somewhere where you can pay by card most of the time, but many places still prefer cash so won't accept cards or charge extra for card payments.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?