Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

3 destination holiday with 6 and 9yo. Bad idea?

12 replies

ZenNudist · 25/01/2020 10:14

Thinking of Germany and Austria this year. Looking at 3 hotels/holiday home in 9 days. Is this a bad idea?

I hate packing to go on holiday, but dont find it too much stress to pack and leave a place. Would be using packing cubes to keep organised. I want to do trips around the areas, wander into local towns and combine eating out with eating in. Thinking 2 nights 4 nights 3 nights with an hours drive between each location.

Who else does this? Do you just waste time checking in and out of places? And cant relax because of moving on?

Can go longer (2 nights 5 nights 3 nights) but dont want too long a holiday as DH gets annoyed and it starts to pal.

OP posts:
Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 25/01/2020 13:13

We did a similar holiday when ours were 10/11. But we had the car we did week at CP nr Ostend, 3 nights in Brussels, 3 in Cologne and 1 in Lille.

We also stopped in Oxford on the way down and Kent on way back.

We packed a bag for each stop so was dead easy kids loved it. Also stopped in Maastricht on travels to add an extra country.

Please
or

BrieAndChilli · 25/01/2020 13:21

Last summer we went to Italy
We drove to France on day 1, stayed over, drove to Geneva in Switzerland on day 2 and spent the day there eating cheese fondue and buying Swiss Army knives and stayed over. The following day we went to the CERN laboratory and then drove over the top of the Alps to Italy. Spent the afternoon in Aosta where we worded and lived for a while then drove to Milan and stayed over
We then drove to a holiday site near Venice and stayed there for a week.
Coming back we spent more time driving each day - drove through Austria and spent the night in Germany and then drove through Luxembourg and Belgium

Like a PP we packed smaller over night bags for the stopover nights and set the car up with snacks and tissues and electronics! Plus some travel games like battle ships etc

I was really worried it was going to be hell with an 8,11 and 12 year old but actually it was really lovely. And we could stop whenever we wanted. Coming back through France we drove past the battle of Waterloo site so stopped on a whim and had a look round there.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 25/01/2020 13:28

I quite like road trips, we did 5 stop offs in Canada when the children were 7,10 and 12 and then 4 stop offs in Vietnam the following year.
I find packing a separate suitcase for each step of the journey works well as you don't beed to keep re-packing. We have shoes/toiletries in a separate suitcase.

Please
or

Autumn101 · 25/01/2020 13:41

We do this kind of holiday a lot and haVe since the DC were young. It’s absolutely fine! DC are always excited to see a new place, the constant unpacking/packing can be a pain so definitely try and be as organized as you can. Either have separate bags for each stop or have more of a plan of what clothes etc for each stay. I take lists of who has what and cross it off to keep a track.

Our longest was 5 weeks and staying in 9 places - amazing but exhausted by the end!!

Please
or

GingerFoxInAT0phat · 25/01/2020 13:45

Depends on the kids, we did a week travelling around Scotland in a motorhome and my 10 and 6 year old didn’t really enjoy it as much I thought they would.

They’re happiest playing on the beach or in a pool.

Please
or

ZenNudist · 25/01/2020 14:35

Thanks for replies.

I love the idea of roadtrip holidays but always think I will do them when the kids leave home!

Im not travelling much more than an hour between places but I thought that might be easier than staying in one place and doing several hour long journeys to sightsee. Plus I want to do a Munich citybreak in a hotel, then stay in an 18th century property near a castle, then a spa hotel outside a Salzburg.

We usually stay in a villa with pool set up and self cater but got fed up after 2 weeks last year.

OP posts:
Please
or

KoalasandRabbit · 25/01/2020 20:19

I think it's fine especially without long driving distances. Long drives used to lead to long kids arguments in the car but kids loved different hotels.

Please
or

KittenVsBox · 25/01/2020 20:32

Sounds fine.

It was a longer holiday, but we did 5 places last summer - varying between 2 nights and 5 nights.

Kids were 7 and 9.

Please
or

Lippy1234 · 27/01/2020 16:37

I haven’t done a three centre holiday but nearly always do twin centre ones and they work out well. My DC are adults now and have grown up having twin centre holidays, either different hotels in different areas such as in Cuba beach and Havana or cruise and stay, stay and cruise. Personally I don’t like less than three nights in each place. Plan your packing and travel fairly light also plan activities for the gap between checking out of one hotel and into the next. We found although it’s tempting to arrive early at the second hotel usually our rooms weren’t ready so we had a bit of waiting around to do.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 27/01/2020 19:23

We usually do a multi centre holiday basically as we like doing different things! I really like being on the move every 3/4 days & if there is somewhere you don’t like as much as you thought you would, there is always the next destination! We usually end on a chill note (usually a beach destination) and wind down round a pool for a couple of days.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 28/01/2020 21:10

I am not sure how much you will see if your locations are only 1 hour apart? You are basically always in the same area.

It may depend on your children and the hotels you choose but I wouldn't be able to spend a full holiday with DD in one hotel room, all of us would go mad. Lots of city hotels aren't that spacious.

In your case I would do at least 4 days per location, maybe get a suite in each to be out of each hair and relax a bit instead of just running around each day. You can't even do a full daytrip somewhere.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 04/02/2020 10:24

I did a five stop trip with my children the same age last year. Eight nights Montenegro (one night in one hotel, seven in another), flew to Ljubljana for three nights, two nights in Kranskja Gora and three nights Lake Bled. Was absolutely fine as apart from the flight all the places were no more than an hour away. Felt like the holiday went on forever mixing it up!!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?