Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Eating out in Paris

9 replies

Lonelythisxmas · 19/01/2020 22:54

I’ve heard you can get really stung in Paris for food so was wondering if anyone had any tips for reasonably priced restaurants? Staying not far from Jardin de Luxembourg (5th arr.)

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Pippapotomus · 20/01/2020 19:23

The places closest to all the sights will be more expensive. DS managed to order the worlds most expensive ice cream when we stopped for a drink across the river from the Louvre. 15E for 1 scoop!

Please
or

Gertrudesgarden · 20/01/2020 19:26

I can't help as I was last in Paris in the 80's, but oh how jealous I am of you! We were students and lived off crepes from a van....

Please
or

bellabelly · 20/01/2020 19:30

One place I really like is called Bouillon Racine. Not been for a long time but I really liked it. link here

Please
or

bellabelly · 20/01/2020 19:33

Also, have a quick look at the menu and price list outside cafes and restaurants before you go in. Lots of places do good deals with a prix fixed menu, so a two or three course lunch can be much more reasonable than ordering a la carte.

Please
or

j712adrian · 20/01/2020 19:34

Chartier

Le Procope

Au Bon Couscous

... all open for years, a good sign, and all on the web.

Please
or

NowWhereWasI · 20/01/2020 19:35

Try a restaurant called Bouchon Chartier it is a chain. You do not book just turn up. The menu changes daily and the food is reasonably priced. Beware the queues can get very long though!

Please
or

CherryPavlova · 20/01/2020 19:37

August’s on Rue de Bourgogne (Not cheap but lovely)
Zia on avenue de Tourville, is cheaper.
L’Arpege on rue de Varenne,

If you cross the river into the 7th there are more reasonably priced places around the Rue du Bac.

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 20/01/2020 19:48

Most restaurants have good-value lunch menus and it’s perfectly acceptable to order just two courses or to share a dessert. Paris tap water is free and perfectly drinkable (ask for a carafe d’eau), bread is always provided free, and service is always included in the bill, so it’s not necessary to tip (and most French don’t) unless you really want to.
Unless you are a wine snob or someone who can tell the difference between every vintage, house wine is the way to go in France. A pitcher or carafe of wine is always cheaper than a bottle.
Creperies, on the whole, are an affordable way to eat out. Breizh Cafe is my favourite, although not particularly budget as crêperies go, it’s streets ahead of the competition in terms of quality.

Please
or

Xiaoxiong · 20/01/2020 20:19

Bistro Ernest on Rue du Seine is a lovely tiny local place

start your evening at La Robe et La Mousse or L'Avant Comptoir de la mer, both on le Carrefour de l'Odéon

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?