Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Visiting Poole &Bournemouth advice

15 replies

Tkamb · 18/01/2020 18:30

Hello!
I have been offered a job in Poole and we are coming to visit next week for 4 days to see what the area is like.
Flying into Bournemouth and staying in Bournemouth city centre.
Wondering if we should rent a car to get around easily or if we could rely on local buses. Is parking difficult?
We need to visit Poole hospital, Bournemouth hospital, 3 schools in Bournemouth and 2 schools in Poole. Also have a look at lower parkstone, Canford cliffs, Talbot village as possible living areas.
Although more expensive, maybe hiring a car would be wiser? Do you have UBER in the area? What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

wobytide · 19/01/2020 09:04

There are buses and trains but the areas you want to visit are spread out so potentially a car may be best but it's a terrible area to drive in but it may be worth it to find out what it's like. If you have multiple days may be worth splitting the visits so do Poole hospital and Canford Cliffs/Lower Parkstone one day, Bournemouth hospital and schools one day etc

That said unless they are the grammar schools in Bournemouth or Glenmoor girls almost all the schools in Bournemouth don't have the greatest reputation. Is there any reasons you've settled on those particular areas so far? Maybe will depend on your job and commuting but also consider areas like Christchurch, Ringwood and Ferndown if schools are important.

Please
or

Tkamb · 19/01/2020 16:57

Thank you so much. Yes, I thought it was spread out on google maps- we'll hire a car then, thank you for your advice.
It's Bournemouth grammars and Bournemouth collegiate the schools I'm visiting.
I will have a look at Ringwood and Ferndown too, as schools are very important for us, but I've been told the commute from there to Poole hospital would be awful, so I thought it would be better to live somewhere in between both hospitals
I will work more often at Poole hospital than Bournemouth,
It's funny, I had no idea traffic was so bad when I accepted the job! I'm a little bit scared about it!
Will see next week

OP posts:
Please
or

HappyHammy · 19/01/2020 17:05

Id rent a car. You can get a bus from bournemouth to poole but it would take forever. Theres a train from bm to poole. Where are you staying? Ringwood is a sweet little town and.easy for RBH. Ferndown is about 30min drive to either if theres no traffic but easily over an hour usually during the day. Worse at school pick up if youre working shifts. If youre at RBH in the afternoon give yourself PLENTY of time as clinics, local Court, hotel staff all seem to leave around 5pm on a one way road ststem. Wimborne is lovely for PGH. Congrats on new job. What is it.

Please
or

Tkamb · 19/01/2020 17:48

Thank you Happyhammy. I will definitely rent a car. Traffic is really putting me off, but I will see it next week with my own eyes and decide. It seems like a lovely place to live but I don't want to spend hours commuting or have my kids sitting on the school bus for ages.
Ringwood could be a good place for RBH, but probably an awful conmute to Poole.
I will come and see. Just a bit disappointed about traffic ...

OP posts:
Please
or

HappyHammy · 19/01/2020 17:54

Have a look at The Bournemouth Echo website, they will give you travel updates. RBH is off the main Spur Road which is undergoing some works, they are creating a new entrance for the hospital and it's the main road to everywhere. Westbourne is lovely and inbetween the two hospitals. If you're working shifts it won't be so bad.
www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18170903.letter-editor-hospital-cant-ignore-planning-process/

Please
or

Tkamb · 19/01/2020 17:58

Thank you! Very helpful! No, I won't be working shifts so need to take traffic into account! Will have a look at Westbourne too!

OP posts:
Please
or

Paddingtonthebear · 19/01/2020 18:02

Where will you be moving from?
Bournemouth isn’t a city, if you are coming from a big city you might find it pretty different!

Please
or

SinkGirl · 19/01/2020 18:09

Hire a car. Some bus routes are great but for example getting to bmth hospital from Poole the routes are rather circuitous. I’d agree with all your areas - is the job in Poole or Bournemouth? If Bournemouth, consider Southbourne and Westbourne / Alum Chine for living too. Ashley Cross is always my ideal, but I lived there growing up so I’m biased!

Parking at Poole Hospital can be a nightmare - multi storey often full at busy hours. I recommend either parking in the residential roads around the maternity unit or in Poole park and walking up.

Please
or

beachbelleorbeachbum · 19/01/2020 19:24

Hello, congratulations on the new job!

Poole and Bournemouth are beautiful. We live the Bournemouth side of the boarder and count our blessings every day. Traffic is NOT as bad as PPs are say- no need to be scared! It's nothing like a city where you can sit for hours not moving. Yes, it can get busy on the main roads at key times, but you'll soon get to know the back roads and its not a problem. There are also some brilliant schools (primary and secondary) and the grammar schools are not the be all and end all. Someone I know works at both hospitals and commutes between the two by cycling along the prom! I would definitely recommend that yiu hire a car as although the towns are connected by regular buses, you will get a better feel of the area by driving around. You won't regret moving here.

Please
or

claracluck78 · 19/01/2020 20:34

Congrats on the new job op!

We are along the a31 and close to Ringwood/New Forest and in the past couple of years traffic has been awful with roadworks on the a338 and still some ongoing developments which may make travel at rush hour a pain.

However, we lived in central Bournemouth before DC and decided to relocate here because of the schools. At the time my DP was commuting to the other side of Poole and didn't find it too hard every day.

He also now works at the Uni campus and commutes there but rarely at rush hour and it's a pretty easy drive.

We love having the beach and amenities 20mins away and also being 2mins from the New Forest. We avoid the centre of Bournemouth completely in the summer because of the tourism though.

Good luck with the job and the recce!

Please
or

Tkamb · 19/01/2020 21:03

Thank you all. We currently live in the south of Spain, in the outskirts of a big city, but not much traffic here!
I am glad to hear it's a lovely area -that's what I thought when I got the job. And most people living there say so too, what a relief!
Will follow your advice and hire a car.
I will work at both sites, probably more often in PH, but not sure yet.
I'm so excited about my visit!
Your advice is really really helpful, I am so grateful to you all!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

HappyHammy · 19/01/2020 21:20

It's quite chilly here at the moment so wrap up warm, have a good trip and hope you like the area.

Please
or

SinkGirl · 20/01/2020 07:38

In that case i think your areas are about right. Getting from Poole to Bournemouth is tricky for traffic, so I’d live the Poole side if you’re likely to be there most, Ashley Cross / lower Parkstone is very close to PGH and great for schools.

However, if you plan to stay in that house longterm and you work in say maternity or A&E you’d be better off Bournemouth side as they’ll be moving to Bournemouth in a few years. Or pick somewhere like Westbourne which is mid way.

Please
or

Whatabeauty · 08/03/2020 20:25

How was your trip and what did you decide?

Please
or

Whatabeauty · 09/03/2020 10:44

@Tkamb

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?