Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cash or card for Dublin

3 replies

runflorestrun · 13/01/2020 17:44

Please excuse the naivety of this thread (I'm not very well travelled!)

Due to fly to Dublin (from the uk) for a long weekend, is it more advisable to take cash, or would I be able to use my visa debit card for transactions... more chip and pin rather than atm use.

Many thanks in advance x

OP posts:
Please
or

Nonotmenori · 13/01/2020 17:49

Take cash as you'll get charged for fees per transaction if you bank with lloyds anyways. I'm not long back from Christmas there and used my monzo card which had no fees.

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 13/01/2020 19:05

Get a sterling card and you can use if for free abroad. Wouldn’t take too much cash as you’ll loose on the exchange rate.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 13/01/2020 22:08

Get a Starling card, pay your money into the account and use the debit card to pay. If you do something wher cash is appropriate, just withdraw some from a cash machine. Best possible exchange rate and zero fees.

Some common bank debit cards charge a fee per transaction, so if you're one of those people who literally pays every purchase, large and small with a card, you could pay a fee every single time.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?