Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flixbus from Vienna to Budapest

7 replies

Sami544 · 12/01/2020 19:56

Has anyone used Flixbus before. We will be in Austria in the summer and were thinking about going to see if we could go to Budapest for a couple of days. Wondered what these buses were like. We will have 3 teenagers with us.

OP posts:
Please
or

TheresWaldo · 13/01/2020 08:39

Not done the Flixbus but we did the journey by train last year. Tickets are quite cheap if booked in advance. Obviously quicker than the bus.

www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/vienna-to-budapest-by-train.htm

Please
or

stripeypillowcase · 13/01/2020 08:45

the buses are comfortable coaches.
driver often sells snack and (soft) drinks.
usually with a toilet on board, but sometimes that doesn't work or is not pleasant.
be prepared for border checks, i.e. have the passports on you.

tbh, train is more comfortable, but the bus is good value.

Please
or

ContinuityError · 13/01/2020 12:13

You’d be looking at about £120-150 return for 5 of you by train, and about £80 by bus. The train isn’t actually much quicker (15-20 minutes or so). I’ve only done the train, which was a very pleasant trip (we also got cheap upgrades to 1st Class).

Please
or

ContinuityError · 13/01/2020 12:18

Both Austria and Hungary (plus neighbouring Slovakia) are in the Schengen area so you won’t go through border controls. Bratislava is also worth a visit.

Please
or

stripeypillowcase · 13/01/2020 12:28

Both Austria and Hungary (plus neighbouring Slovakia) are in the Schengen area so you won’t go through border controls.

they are, however sometimes those busses are subject to id checks at the border, so it's good to be prepared.

Please
or

dreamingbohemian · 13/01/2020 12:40

Flixbus is cheap but loads of people have problems with them (I live in Berlin, one of their major stops). The most common problem is that the driver just drives off without people after a rest stop. Also problems with stolen bags. If it's only an extra 50 quid for the train, I would absolutely take the train.

Please
or

Ellmau · 14/01/2020 00:10

Flixbus can also suffer from major delays. I would pick the train.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?