Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Hotel/resort recommendations for first holiday with baby

11 replies

AnxiousFTM · 08/01/2020 18:43

DH and I are thinking of taking our baby away in September for a week, she will have just turned 1.

I’m looking for family friendly resort/hotel recommendations. Not too busy but enough to do as imagine we’ll spend a fair bit of time taking DD for walks, obviously somewhere with pavements that is safe for pushing the pushchair with nice restaurants and a beach.
Ideally not too long a flight or transfer time the other side.
Or would we be better to do all inclusive than self catering? Imagine we’ll be eating fairly early in the evenings so spending quite a bit more time in the room than we usually would, so want a nice hotel too.

Or is it just easier to stay in the UK?

I feel a bit clueless so would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 08/01/2020 19:08

We have done UK and abroad from an early age. Just keep an eye to Hygiene, take all meds and any you may need, consider how far it is to a hospital as not all health care is like ours a friend had a very bad experience whilst abroad.
Then Don't fret as you have a back up plan, Go and enjoy, it was a long time ago but we went to Tenarife and Cala Millor in Majorca with small kids, Majorca was better, more going on and a better sea front for walking the prams, once they hit 3 and 5 it was Cruising for us with the occasional beach holiday

Please
or

Funf · 08/01/2020 19:10

In the UK we did a few Haven type Caravan parks but then bought our own tourer, the kids just loved it.
In general its often cheaper to go abroad

Please
or

LilyPond2 · 09/01/2020 00:39

I think it would make life easier to get an apartment so that you can put your baby to bed in one room and have another room in which to relax in the evening.

Please
or

crustycrab · 09/01/2020 18:19

We fed the kids at around 4.30 abroad. By the time we were all showered and heading out for a meal they slept in the pushchair so we had a week of lovely relaxed meals Grin

The Canary Islands are good for kids with nice weather

Please
or

MeadowHay · 09/01/2020 20:32

I agree much better to have an apartment/suite. I took DD to Fuengirola when she was 9 months, it was lovely and I would deffo recommend. However me and her shared a hotel room room which as she was a fairly light sleeper meant I had to sit in semi-darkness with the TV on very low and be quiet from about 8pm when she would go to bed. And was permanently anxious I would wake her in those few hours before I went to bed so couldn't relax properly. When we stayed with friends a couple of times it has been much better to be able to put her to bed in the bedroom and come downstairs to spend the evening hours not having to creep around.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 09/01/2020 20:50

Martinhal Sagres has everything you could possibly want. Plus you have the choice of hotel rooms, apartments or villas so can eat in or out as you please.

Full of small children in September. An endless supply of high chairs it seemed and restaurants that feel high end but are beyond child friendly. Lovely warm heated pools too. I can highly recommend.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 10/01/2020 13:26

Martinhal make it especially easy - my kids are now older so was just checking what’s there for them and found this!!!

www.martinhal.com/sagres/m2_specialoffer/babys-first-beach-holiday-at-martinhal-sagres/

Please
or

doadeer · 10/01/2020 13:35

We took our 8 month old here and loved it. Close to airport. Staff were so lovely. Great heated pool. Great food. Beach was the only poor point / it's not the best but everything else was fab!

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudHJpcGFkdmlzb3IuY28udWsvSG90ZWxdXVtbwww.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2180527-d585074-Reviews-Roca_Nivaria_GH_Adrian_Hoteles-Playa_Paraiso_Adeje_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html Review-g2180527-d585074-Reviews-RocaaNivariaGHHAdrianHoteles-PlayaaParaisoAdejeeTenerifeCanaryy_Islands.html

Please
or

AnxiousFTM · 11/01/2020 07:41

Thanks everyone for your ideas/tips x

OP posts:
Please
or

Nearlyadoctor · 12/01/2020 07:32

If you were thinking of the U.K. Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall is lovely, early tea for children, baby listening service, soft play etc. An ideal base to explore Padstow and the surrounding areas. Nice walk down to the beach.

Please
or

Lippy1234 · 12/01/2020 18:23

I took my DS1 to Tenerife for Christmas when he was 10 weeks and that worked well. There are lots of promenades alongside the beach that are really good for going for walks. We stayed in an apartment.
When DS2 was 10 weeks we went to an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus during October half term and that also worked out really well as the temperature was not too hot.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?