Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

City break now-ish

48 replies

DarlingNikita · 06/01/2020 13:11

DP and I had a quiet and somewhat dull Christmas and I've got itchy feet! Where in Europe would people recommend for a short break in Jan or Feb?

Not bothered about it being warm, although it'd be nice if it wasn't raining a lot or prohibitively cold as I'd like to do some exploring outdoors. We are both keen on galleries and museums, especially smaller/quirky ones; interesting areas like old towns and historical districts; lively places with interesting culture, shops and art; good cafes. A seaside or waterfront town would be nice, although it's not a deal-breaker.

OP posts:
Please
or

MinnieMountain · 06/01/2020 16:19

Malaga.

Please
or

caperplips · 06/01/2020 16:50

Lisbon!

Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 16:54

Venice is a fantastic place to visit out of season. It's much quieter and more atmospheric. You can get a sense of what it was like before mass tourism. Plus there's lots of stuff to do - art, architecture, history, canals, people-watching at a café, the Ghetto, concerts, take a boat trip to Murano or one of the outlying islands.

Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 16:56

The same goes for other Italian tourist destinations. If Venice doesn't grab you, it's also a great time to visit Rome, Bologna or Turin.

Please
or

Annebronte · 06/01/2020 16:58

I really love Venice in winter too. So beautiful and atmospheric.

Please
or

DarlingNikita · 06/01/2020 16:58

Thought of Lisbon –I've been before and loved it, but maybe should go somewhere different.

Venice... been once and found it impossible to eat decently! We're not big foodies as such, but it was really terrible and put a bit of a dampener on it. It is amazing though.

OP posts:
Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 16:59

Paris is another idea. Actually just about any city break would be good at this time of year. It's cheaper and less crowded. Lucky you, OP.

Please
or

Luaa · 06/01/2020 16:59

Venice in February is great. Depending on what you like though either avoid or go when carnival is on. We avoided it because we wanted it to be quiet

Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 17:04

Venice isn't the best place for food but you need to stay away from tourist restaurants that have menus in English. Or places that have a waiter outside trying to get you in. Go a few streets back from the main drag and find a place that is full of locals. Italians ask other Italians in the street where is good to eat and if you have a few words of Italian you can try doing the same. Bars usually do bar snacks in the evening that you can make a full meal out of. You can't go wrong with a simple pasta dish, pizza and salad. And the ice cream is to die for.

Please
or

DarlingNikita · 06/01/2020 17:16

I did love the ice cream!

OP posts:
Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 17:25

You're spoilt for choice at this time of year. Decide on your budget first. Go on skyscanner, put in your departure airport, choose Everywhere as your destination and see what comes up. There are lots of great city breaks off the beaten track - Lyon, Avignon, Seville, Copenhagen. There are cheap packages to Iceland too. I've been eyeing one on Secret Escapes but I don't have the time for a city break! Have you thought about staying in the UK? Lots of choice here too. How about Bath, Edinburgh, Belfast, York? All of them are quiet at this time of year.

Please
or

LyndaLaHughes · 06/01/2020 17:29

Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Belfast, Rome, Bruges, Amsterdam and Budapest are all favourites of mine. Not a fan of Paris which I've done a few times. Had the same feeling as you so trying Prague next!

Please
or

adhdme2019 · 06/01/2020 17:29

Kraków!

Please
or

AKAanothername · 06/01/2020 17:40

Bilbao and San Sebastián in northern Spain

Please
or

DarlingNikita · 06/01/2020 17:51

SuckingDieselFella (love the Line of Duty name!), I really feel like going overseas at the mo, although I do want to visit Belfast at some point.

I do quite fancy Krakow, Bruges or maybe Ghent, as well as the Baltics, but wouldn't mind somewhere a little less cold right now. Maybe Seville. Actually, I really want to go to Granada to see the Alhambra, but I can't find cheap flights from London for love nor money. Iberia only seem to have flights with stops, and easyJet has none until about April Confused

OP posts:
Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 19:48

Ghent. I haven't been but I've visited other places in Belgium. The people are really friendly to Brits because of both world wars. There's lots of culture and chips in mayo! If you like chocolate, pastries and dairy products its definitely the place for you! I'd avoid Bruges as it's much too touristy.

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 06/01/2020 19:50

Alicante city, get some sunshine.

Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 19:51

If you're looking for less cold think about Sicily. There are budget flights to Palermo and Catania.

Please
or

TooleyVanDooley · 06/01/2020 19:53

You don’t need to fly to Granada for the Alhambra, get a bus or hire a car from Malaga. It’s not that far.

Please
or

SuckingDieselFella · 06/01/2020 19:58

All these places are good. You just need to pick somewhere. I spent so long thinking about it that it's too late now and there won't be any hols until Easter.

Please
or

Chochito · 06/01/2020 20:05

Barcelona - beach, shit loads of culture, great food, and cheap

Please
or

BarracudaSharkNose · 06/01/2020 20:06

Anywhere in southern Spain. Cadiz is fab.

Please
or

BarracudaSharkNose · 06/01/2020 20:07

If you want to go to Granada fly to Malaga, v easy to get to Granada.

Please
or

Mustbetimeforachange · 06/01/2020 20:10

Seville or somewhere else in southern Spain. Catania in Sicily.

Please
or

DarlingNikita · 07/01/2020 14:04

Thanks everyone. Bus from Malaga to Granada is OK for me, but my DP isn't a great traveller and gets a bit stressy about making connections etc. But he might be up for it.

I know I just have to pick somewhere before it's too late. It's just that even a short break with budget flights is kind of a stretch and a treat for me, so I'm a bit cautious about picking places.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?