Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Beach + culture or island hopping, Aug, DC 6 + 9?

7 replies

owhatashambles · 03/01/2020 15:06

We have never been a resort family (can't bear the idea of crowds on hols or scrambling for loungers) so are looking for the impossible: a bit of a mix of a beach holiday with culture thrown in (eg ruins, old town etc). We have two DCs who will be 6 and 9 by August. Not keen on Canaries or crowded parts of Spain. Last year we toured around Portugal (not the Algarve) so was suitably quiet but water was cold...
We love islands but have already done most of Croatia (pre-kids). These, along with Puglia, were prob our best holidays. DH not keen on Greek island-hopping (had a so-so experience a couple of years ago of Athens plus one other island). Plus it's August... I sort of fancy the idea of a hop around the Balearics and maybe stopover in Valencia but fear it will be crazy busy on Ibiza, which sounds beautiful. Love the idea of trying to combine Corsica and Sardinia but fear it will be too hot and ££££. Has anyone done this with DC? Not keen on camping but we are not millionaires. A small SC place is ideal, with shared pool perhaps but near coast. I like the idea of two-centre holidays or even more, don't mind travelling a bit in between. Happy to rent cars, drive, catch ferries etc. Run out inspiration! Any suggestions?

OP posts:
Please
or

desperatesux · 03/01/2020 16:45

Southern Sardina near Pula isn't massively expensive and the wine, food and beaches are stunning. You do need a car though
Ibiza isn't crazy busy once you get out of San Antionio but again you need a car here too as its pretty spread out. I really liked both an Ibiza has a great vibe but in terms of beaches there are none to compare to Sardinia although the surrounding area is pretty barren and not massively picturesque for Italy

Please
or

Swiftier · 23/01/2020 17:30

Would you think about the Azores? Really stunning islands, lots to see - but more outdoor walks, whale/dolphin watching, all the hot springs and volcanic activity, rather than lots of old ruins etc. It would be warm but not really hot in August. Direct flights to Ponta Del Garda from London. The beaches are fine but not amazing - if spending time on the beaches are an important part of the holiday it may not be for you.
Other suggestion would be Scandinavia to make the most of the long daylight hours, some great beaches and lots of pretty towns and cities to visit too, easy to travel around.

Please
or

questionsneverstop · 24/01/2020 18:24

I am from Sardinia. Ask me anything you want.

Please
or

Starisnotanumber · 25/01/2020 10:14

Have you considered Sicily. There's mount Etna to climb, lots of ruins, sea bathing mostly off platforms but some beaches lots of scenic little villages and good food especially seafood.
Ryanair and easyjet do cheap flights depending where you are flying from.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 27/01/2020 14:03

Malta and Gozo might suit you. It will be very hot in August but the sea will be lovely. Lots of culture and historical sites in Valetta and other places on Malta (and Gozo).

You could spend time on both islands and there are some beaches. Plus a day on Comino at the Blue Lagoon.

Please
or

Catapillarsruletheworld · 27/01/2020 17:29

We stayed on a campsite in a chalet in Corsica couple of years ago. Week week i August including flight and car hire was just over 1k, so pretty cheap really. The beaches were pretty quiet and it wasn’t too hot. More like late 20s. Watch out for the bugs though! I did come back with some impressive bites.

Please
or

Funf · 30/01/2020 07:12

Just back fro a weekend in Cyprus.
You may be better travelling around one island?
Stayed in Paphos, which if you root around has an amphitheater, Kings tombs, various other tombs, a castle, a few large ruins, most of which are free.
We did sand and snow on the same day by driving in to the mountains to see 4ft of snow and go sledging, called at a lovely village with a monastery on the way, spectacular scenery even more so on the way back as we went a different way.
We also crossed the border to Northern Cyprus, very interesting.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?