Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Berlin mini break with DD 11 in July - where to stay?

77 replies

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz · 02/01/2020 22:42

Evening all

Title sums it up really! Looking to be fairly central and close to as many sites as possible, self catering so open to an apartment or flat (dubious about Airbnb) as did similar in Rome] but the ease of a hotel appeals.

I don't actually know what area is best to look at (Berlin newbie) hence vague request! I'm assuming the transport links around the city and to/from airport will be efficient?! t the same time once we have our bearings we're happy to walk lots so would look to clock up a few steps if necessary too.

any pointers to help me make a start on looking would be grand!

Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz · 02/01/2020 23:00

Sorry meant to say dubious about Airbnb however in Rome we used Rome Lofts to rent an apartment which worked brilliant - anything similar for Berlin?

OP posts:
Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 02/01/2020 23:05

Adina apartments might be worth a look. I think there's one near Checkpoint Charlie (touristy but convenient) and various others.

The best area to stay in is probably Mitte (the centre). There are so many hotels - Holiday Inns or Holiday Inn Express usually reliable, and there are a fair few of them, if you decide you'd prefer a hotel. There are lots of cheap places for eating out.

Transport is really easy. Are you arriving to Tegel? If so, it's a bus into town, from just outside the airport. You can get day tickets, or for several days - very cheap. Remember to use the machine (next to the ticket machine) to stamp your ticket when you buy it. It's then valid on buses, trains and trams.

Please
or

tinytemper66 · 02/01/2020 23:07

We stayed in the Novotel near Spitelmarkt.

Please
or

JustMyName · 02/01/2020 23:09

There are buses and tubes from the airport to the centre.

I've stayed in Berlin twice, bit never self catering. I've always just pulled up a map of the centre and them looked I'm booking.com for a hotel close to a tube station that I like the look of and can afford. Everything is easily reached by tube.

The first time I stayed in a hotel near the tube station Wittenbergplatz which was near the big department store KaDeWe (similar to Harrods) and handy for shops and the second time a hotel near tube station Zoologischer Garten, which was also very central and I could walk to where I wanted to go. Also near the zoo with gorgeous pandas! Both seemed good areas.

Sorry, I know that isn't much help. It's a huge city and I guess it depends what you want to do or where you want to go.

Please
or

Dipsydoodle · 02/01/2020 23:10

We stayed in a great apartment - Frederics at Hackescher Markt.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 02/01/2020 23:10

No trains from Tegel - only buses.

Please
or

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz · 02/01/2020 23:11

Wow! This is all so helpful, thank you all!

Off to bed shortly but intend to crack on looking at all these suggestions tomorrow.

Thanks so much once again Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 02/01/2020 23:11

The zoo is excellent - the best I've ever been to, and I think would appeal very highly to an 11 yr old.

Please
or

Dipsydoodle · 02/01/2020 23:12

Pressed post too soon. Frederics Hackescher Markt. Walking distance to most of the main tourist stuff, really near a station and also shops to buy bits to keep in the apartment. Very quiet and felt like a safe area. My mum stayed there on a subsequent trip after our recommendation and really rated it too.

Please
or

JoanieCash · 02/01/2020 23:12

We stayed in a family room at the Amano Hotel on Augustrasse in Mitte. It was excellent- central, lots of great cafes, bars and nearby transport links. It’s a brilliant city with kids.

Please
or

Dipsydoodle · 02/01/2020 23:14

The zoo is very good, and the aquarium. My regret is that I was 8 weeks pregnant when we went and I felt like shit so we didn't get to do as much as I'd planned :( We did ride the shit out of the open-top bus though as I could just slump there Grin

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 02/01/2020 23:16

Auguststrasse an excellent location.

I think there's an Adina Apartment hotel at Hackescher Markt too.

Please
or

Fantababy · 02/01/2020 23:31

We (DH and I) stayed in the Hotel Indigo at Alexanderplatz which was lovely, very trendy and had a nice restaurant. Very handy for transport. Only downside for us was not a lot of good bars around that area but if you're with an 11 yo that's probably not an issue.

Please
or

bingohandjob · 02/01/2020 23:36

Adina Hotel Hackescher Markt is really central - good location, good rooms that come with a kitchenette (and a supermarket just behind the hotel) if that's of use. We loved it. Generally we stay in Air BnB for longer stays though and always had excellent accommodation - just look for places with plenty of good reviews and good communications with the host. Mitte ideal for your first visit.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 02/01/2020 23:48

I don't think Berlin has Air B&B

Please
or

JustMyName · 02/01/2020 23:50

Eat icecream while you're there! Lots of wonderful little icecream shops all over the city.

Agree the zoo was amazing - and I was there in November, freezing cold but still enjoyed it.

Tierpark in the middle of the city is beautiful, a big park, wonderful for walking in and ends at the Brandenburg gate.

Lots of amazing museums.

Definitely take a city tour ride on the open top bus.

Please
or

RomaineCalm · 02/01/2020 23:58

The Meliá Berlin is down at the river and close to the station. We walked everywhere from there.

Please
or

Rubybluesy · 03/01/2020 01:08

Berlin does have Air bnb! Been 3 times, first two in nice reasonable hotels fairly near centre. Last time got a lovely Air bnb big enough for me , DP and four teenage daughters. Very clean comfortable, near shops and right next to an underground station. Had a great time!

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 03/01/2020 08:54

Ah okay, Ruby. I read an article that said they were really cracking down on them.

Please
or

bingohandjob · 03/01/2020 10:35

They are cracking down - there are stricter rules in place about renting via Air BnB which I imagine will roll out across a number of cities as there does seem to be a growing backlash about dominance of rentals in city centres such as Reykjavik, Venice and Krakow etc.

Please
or

ifonly4 · 05/01/2020 17:34

We stayed at Hackescher Markt last year. Great location for trams, buses, eating out in a nice areas away from main roads, very close to river and pottering around shops. We walked to Berlin wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenberg Gate. We'd certainly go back there, if not keep to Mitre as there's a few small areas which might suit.

Please
or

Copperleaves · 05/01/2020 19:40

Following with interest as am taking the dc there later this year. Can't decide between the extra space of an apartment and the joy of someone else making breakfast!

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/01/2020 19:53

Prenzlauerberg is another area, a bit further out. Very family friendly and lots of restaurants.

Please
or

caperplips · 06/01/2020 10:33

We took dd when she was 11 and we stayed in Charlottenburg, very close to the zoo and Kurfustendam etc and we found it to be an excellent location.

We were there for 4 days, first time for and and dh too and we did the main tourist things - Brandenburg Gate, glass of Sekt on the terrace of the Hotet Adlon, Berliner Dom Cathedral, the Berlin Wall museum, Ritter Sport HQ for chocolate, the holocaust memorial, Kathe Kollowitz museum etc

We really enjoyed it but definitely need to go back again to get a better feel for the place. It is very large and sprawling and while I loved the history I did not come away feeling I loved the city. But I think it needs more time.

Please
or

Gingerninja4 · 06/01/2020 16:45

We have been a few times now .We always stay Alexander platz as good connections for Ubahn also the main bus route starts there so can get on before busy

Walkable to the Cathedral the museums and also to Brandenburg Tor.Also often lot of things going in in the square

Dead Chicken Alley was Intresting with all the graffiti

We like the park inn by Raddisson on Alexander platz

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?