Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Verona Opera - steps or cheapest seats?

7 replies

Mamapossum · 02/01/2020 22:19

Hello, I'm dragging my teens to the Verona Opera festival this summer while we're staying in Peschiera. Looking at ticket prices €27 unreserved steps, numbered steps €39-54, or €64 for cheapest seats. DH has dodgy back so tempted to go for seats - so he has something to lean against - but any advice gratefully received from ppl who have been... thanks :)

OP posts:
Please
or

NoGravyForYou · 02/01/2020 22:20

If he has a dodgy back then yes stump up for the seats, the stone steps are not the most comfortable and it's a long evening.
It's amazing though!

Please
or

NoGravyForYou · 02/01/2020 22:21

Also look at the under 25 rate that they do for your teens, it's to promote culture or something in young people.

Please
or

QueenOfTheHighCs · 02/01/2020 22:24

Definitely pay the extra for the seats. The steps are seriously uncomfortable and you have to get in very early! It's also very difficult to get out if you need the loo at any point!

Please
or

Drabarni · 02/01/2020 22:25

The cheaper seats are really uncomfortable. We were so glad we used cushions on the steps. They sell them outside the Arena but you'll need a few, or take your own of course.
What are you going to see? We went especially for the Opera but had a lovely holiday too.
We saw Carmen it was fantastic, but take lots of water, they stopped the strict rules because of the heat, be prepared for lots of first aiders and sirens over the performance, someone died in front of us, the heat is stifling, like being in a bowl. You can't see anything, the performers are like ants, but wow can you hear the voices, amazing.
Hope you have a great time and wish I could come with you.
I saved for 2 years though, we don't usually have holidays but we had to go.

Please
or

Mamapossum · 03/01/2020 10:08

Great tips, thanks all! Think we will push the boat out and go for the Puccini seats www.arena.it/arena/en/pages/prices-seating-plan-arena-verona.html, and hire cushions as well. Thanks for the Youth Rate heads up @NoGravyForYou .

@Drabarni we're planning to see Nabucco. Slightly wavering as feel like I should take the DCs to Aida for the full spectacle - www.arena.it/arena/en/shows/aida-2020.html. But as soon as I saw the list I wanted to see Nabucco - I've taught Italian unification for years and it was a really important symbol of the nationalist movement in the mid-C19th. And then I clicked on it and nearly wet myself with excitement to see that this production is actually designed to reference all of that history and is set in Milan during the 1848 revolutions... Grin www.arena.it/arena/en/shows/nabucco-2020.html

Plus tbh I'm guessing there will be a fair bit of moaning / going on phones whatever we choose to see... so I think I've just convinced myself that Nabucco it is, cos if we went to Aida and they didn't enjoy it then I would be so pissed off at missing out on my Risorgimento geekfest :)

OP posts:
Please
or

NoGravyForYou · 03/01/2020 11:11

I saw Aida, it truly was a spectacle. I think the costumes were created by Dolce and Gabbana. Enjoy it no matter what you see, it's an amazing experience.

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 03/01/2020 18:07

You can take small bottles inside but not big bottles. If choosing seats instead of stone, there is a dress code and long pants for men aged 16 and over.
It is not crazy hot, just normal hot summer temperatures.

They won't be able to use phones once show starts, as people around you, will tell them off. It is however ok to do a quick photo. It might be worth buying some small binoculars. There are no screens (the screens display the text ) .

Bring mosquito repellent.

Verona is a great city, you can have a wander before the show and eat a bite

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?