Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone done a Sailing or kayaking holiday

14 replies

peoplepleaser1 · 31/12/2019 11:57

Id love to do a kayaking holiday with DH and DS (13), we all love water sports. DS has done formal kayak skills courses, DH and I are self taught but happy to take fo atm course if necessary.

We've all sailed a little but no one is skilled at it so we couldn't skipper a boat alone.

I've had a google but would love some thoughts and recommendations if possible.

Looking at August, for a week or 2, ideally Europe as DH likes to be 'abroad'. Devon is a possibility though as we have access to accommodation there.

OP posts:
Please
or

MikeUniformMike · 31/12/2019 12:02

I haven't but I read an article on a sailing holiday, and about 20 yrs ago a colleague went on a sailing holiday in the Aegean.
Both said it was a lot of work.
Obviously, I am no expert but I'd do my research and read reviews.

Please
or

DianaT1969 · 31/12/2019 13:04

You could combine a gulet cruise in Turkey (starting in Kalkan perhaps) with white water rafting in Antalya's Beskonank area. Relaxing on the Gulet cruise, maybe stopping off at a Greek island, with a one day easy river rafting day (fun in April)May or September/Oct and suitable in difficulty for kids). Water is low in July/August, so the river might seem too easy then.

Please
or

confusednorthner · 31/12/2019 13:09

We went on a Ocean Elements holiday a couple of years ago, lots of options for water sports and we really enjoyed it.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 02/01/2020 17:48

I did a few years ago, a firm based out of Barra. It was pretty awful. We got next to no guidance or training, even though it was a beginners group. It was the end of the season and I think the leader just couldn't be bothered. I hated it, never felt safe. But after all these years I'd consider it again, but somewhere warm. Just choose the outfit you go with very carefully.

Please
or

PandancerandRabbitoplh · 02/01/2020 19:31

Not done a sailing or kayaking holiday but done lots of kayaking / watersports on holiday.

Went to Norway this summer and there's lots of kayaking on fjords there and some house rentals come with boats.

Please
or

peoplepleaser1 · 03/01/2020 10:56

Thank you for your thoughts, I'll check out the suggestions (and the places to avoid).

OP posts:
Please
or

snowgirl1 · 03/01/2020 14:57

We've been on a Neilson holiday - they provide lots of watersports equipment (sailing dingy, windsurf boards, SUPs, kayaks) and tuition was included in the cost of the holiday. Plus land-based sports too. Might not be adventurous enough for you if your son has done a kayak skills course?

Please
or

billybagpuss · 03/01/2020 15:00

Probably a bit further than you were thinking of but these guys were amazing, and being desert you just sleep under the stars

www.lakepowellhiddencanyonkayak.com/

Please
or

lljkk · 03/01/2020 15:01

I think there are guided trips down River Wye.

Please
or

Serin · 03/01/2020 17:16

Helford river sailing club run sailing courses, our DC did one a few years back and loved it. They arent residential so we hired a cottage nearby.

Please
or

reefedsail · 03/01/2020 17:25

Andrew Simpson Watersports have a centre on Lake Garda which looks amazing.

aswc.co.uk/activities/holidays/

Please
or

IHaveBrilloHair · 03/01/2020 17:29

I did kayaking in the Ardeche as a teen with no prior experience.
It was PGL holiday but possibly similar exists for families?
It was amazing, so much fun and stunning scenery.

Please
or

Ylvamoon · 03/01/2020 17:38

I did a fantastic sailing holiday on a Tall Ship many moons ago... but i don't think it's available as a family type holiday any more.
Maybe Google can help if you fancy "proper sailing".

Please
or

JuniperBeer · 03/01/2020 17:43

You could do a Neilson or Mark Warner type holiday.
Or go somewhere like Lake Garda. Riva Del Garda at the northern tip- du lac sailing club run courses for sailing/ wind surfing/ kayaking etc. Get an air bnb or hotel, you've got the freedom of cheap restaurants around, and can chill out in and around the lake too!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?