Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

August in Italy - recommendations?

13 replies

MichaelMosleyisagod · 30/12/2019 14:29

Hi All

I have booked flights to Italy (in and out of Rome) for 10 days in August. Aside from a few days in Rome, we don’t have any other plans. Our girls are 12 and 9. Has anyone had a fab family holiday in Italy at that time of year that they would recommend? We are up for anything! Am thinking of Sorrento and Pompeii but am worried about crowds and the heat, so would be interested in hearing people’s experiences. Grazie!

OP posts:
Please
or

Pipandmum · 30/12/2019 14:38

I was going to say don't go then as it will be hotter than hell! But as you've already booked...
I went a couple years ago in early July to Rome for four days with my then 11 and 13 year old. We pre booked tours of the Colosseum and Palatine Hill (when I thought I was going to die of dehydration even though there are water fountains to refill your bottles), we did a day trip to Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius. Both very good and worth going as part of a tour.
The rest of the time we walked around. Rome will be very crowded and as I said hot so get out early. Four days was enough in Rome so definitely go elsewhere - I'd head to the countryside and rent a villa for a few days in Tuscany.

Please
or

LIZS · 30/12/2019 14:39

You could go north to Tuscany (Siena, Volterra etc) or Umbria.

Please
or

Beetle76 · 30/12/2019 14:49

Compare your dates to when Ferraugsto is. We were in Italy over Ferraugsto once and it was odd because many places (shops/restaurants) were shut for the holiday so we needed to work around that (research what will be open or closed before you head out). It was still a great holiday though as we tended to just relax and go with it. The weather was gorgeous!

Please
or

LIZS · 30/12/2019 15:04

And avoid Siena during the Palio too. If you decide to stay there avoid the Hotel Garden.

Please
or

MichaelMosleyisagod · 30/12/2019 21:44

Thanks all - great tips!

OP posts:
Please
or

Daddylonglegs1965 · 04/01/2020 09:38

I would avoid Rome and Pompeii in high summer the heat and crowds will be uncomfortable and unbearable.
As you have already booked flights I would Instead head for the coast and maybe do a two or three Centre holiday by rail depending how much time you have (getting about in Italy by train is quick and easy).

Please
or

Basilandparsleyandmint · 04/01/2020 09:51

I went in Aug a few years and stayed in one of the Eurocamp places near Rome. We visited Rome over two days but like others have said it was absolutely boiling. My children were 7 and 11 at the time and I was very conscious of heat stoke. Carried bottles of water everywhere.
We visited two lovely beaches whilst there and there is Pompeii that isn’t too far.
Make sure you have good air con!

Please
or

Notthebloodygym · 04/01/2020 09:56

I'd go to Tuscany too, to one if the hill towns where it can be a bit cooler.

Please
or

TheCanterburyWhales · 04/01/2020 15:19

Start pre-booking stuff now!

I was in Florence and Bologna last week and thought we'd just be able to queue (I'm in the south of Italy, we were visiting relatives up there) but bookings for everything were finished for about a fortnight.

I've also been to Rome in August, and the heat and the crowds are merciless.

I think you'd be as well to say do 3 days in Rome to do the classic tour stuff and then book a hotel with pool somewhere to recover!

Please
or

separatedandseething · 04/01/2020 16:48

Went to Naples and Positano last August. Far too hot and would avoid again. You'll have to be sensible re the heat and kids.

Did Mt Vesuvius and Pompei in blistering heat. It's doable and you just need to take it slowly. Pompei has free water fountains but both have very little shade. I didn't think the crowds at Pompei were too bad really. You can fast-track the line by paying for online tickets I think or get a pre-booked taxi/guide. Take your own food.

I've also been to Rome which I loved.

Please
or

fedup2017 · 04/01/2020 16:59

I'd go north of Rome rather than South and get out somewhere with a pool to relax.
We went to Naples/Amalfi may half term and it was far too hot even then to enjoy pompeii. ( I would definitely recommend it and Herculaneum at a different time of the year though).

Maybe a few days sightseeing then either hire a car or use the train to get somewhere with a pool for a week of relaxing.

Rome is great for just a wander. The forum is great if you like history. Take lots of water. Queues at the colluseum are LONG. Have a look at the Roma card before you go( we got our money's worth out of and bought it at the airport when we got there). We used it and didn't have to queue in the massive line for the colluseum .

Please
or

fedup2017 · 04/01/2020 17:04

Another tip for Rome is if you want to go to the Vatican museum s ( and Sistine chapel) then they are open late on some Fridays.
You can get the tickets in advance and if you time it right will not need to queue much at all.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 05/01/2020 17:44

I’ve been twice to Rome in August - it is hot but just be sensible, take lots of breaks, carry water and use the subway rather than walk when you can. The Amalfi coast is beautiful and probably worth its own trip (although I wouldn’t personally go to Sorrento, it’s pretty built up and too full of tourists for me). You can do a day trip to Rome to Pompei - book the fast train from Rome to Naples on Trenitalia (the Italian national rail providers - tickets are cheaper booked in advance and you get an e-tickets you can show on your phone) then take the onward train to Pompei (you go downstairs at Naples station). I’d also go to Florence by train (again book your journey on Trenitalia).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?