Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Dordogne holiday question

6 replies

padsi1975 · 29/12/2019 20:52

Hi
I am hoping to drive to France for two weeks this summer. I have been searching for somewhere with a pool, tennis court and some easy, safe and picturesque cycling (suitable for small kids, youngest cyclist will be 6). I found a lovely place but there is no air con. The owner said the cottages are in the forest so in the shade but just the same, I'm a bit put off. What are Dordogne visitors thoughts on being there in July/August without air con? Anyone been to a place called Cournet Haut in high temps that could comment on the heat in the accommodation? Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for another place? I'm looking for a pool, tennis, some nice safe cycling, quiet. Warm. Thanks a mill. First time doing a France summer holiday so totally clueless.

OP posts:
Please
or

shellyandlayla · 29/12/2019 21:46

I'd be cautious. I'm in Brittany, not the Dordogne and we had prolonged temperatures of mid to high 30's this year, and several days where it hit 40. For me, that's uncomfortable and I know in the South it was over 40 for much longer. It's just too hot to do much apart from swim. Sorry. I know there are no guarantees it will be the same this year, but I think you are right to think about it.

Please
or

TheresWaldo · 29/12/2019 21:54

It depends if you are thinking of old stone cottages with thick walls, where aircon probably won't be needed, or wooden chalets or similar where it probably be would.

Please
or

Frenchw1fe · 29/12/2019 21:59

I live in the Dordogne. We don't have air con.
French houses have shutters for a reason.
In summer we open the windows and shutters until about 11. Then windows shut and shutters pulled too. Combined with thick walls our home stays cool enough to sleep comfortably.

Please
or

padsi1975 · 29/12/2019 22:26

Thanks everyone.

OP posts:
Please
or

EmmaCB1 · 30/12/2019 19:26

We’ve stayed there twice in August and loved it. It was a mumsnet recommendation I think. We stayed in the woods the first time and yes, it’s nice and shady. There were bugs out on the deck though, so the next time we stayed in the stone house which we preferred. I think the thick walls keep it nice and cool. It’s a really lovely place to stay either way. Kids made friends both times. There’s lots of space to run around and the countryside is stunning.

Please
or

padsi1975 · 31/12/2019 12:27

Thanks EmmaCB1. I think if the stone house was available I might take a punt on it as perhaps the thick stone walls keep it cool. I can't see the chalets staying cool if temps were in the 30s. Ah, I really want to try France but just can't find anything suitable. Thanks for the feedback.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?