Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lapland Dec 2020

10 replies

Pidgythe2nd · 26/12/2019 17:41

I’d love to go to Lapland next December but have no idea where to start!
Tui have just emailed me and they do the Santa trips and a quick google search brings up Canterbury and Inghams.
I’ll have a proper look and speak to each company as the latter 2 websites don’t seem to do online quotes, but any recommendations?
Seems very expensive so not 100% convinced, but I have the money from a share scheme at work so I wouldn’t be going into debt etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

croon979 · 29/12/2019 22:29

Have just come back. Went with Canterbury and it was absolutely amazing. Yes it was eye wateringly expensive but it was pure magic and I wouldn’t change a thing. Canterbury is pricey but in my opinion, the best. However, you could choose to go with anyone there and it is so stunning that you would have a fab time regardless. Happy to answer any questions....

Lapland Dec 2020
Please
or

croon979 · 29/12/2019 22:32

Proper narnia

Lapland Dec 2020
Please
or

purplepandas · 01/01/2020 15:35

We just came back again (went in 2017 also) via Sant Claus Trips (Transun). Cheaper than Inghams but I imagine prob not as nice. We loved where we went as so remote. Depends on what you want, we didn't want a touristy resort.

Please
or

Panicovereveryone · 05/01/2020 20:49

We booked a ski holiday in Ruka and booked it all ourselves. Do a search on Ruka and you’ll see a few of my previous posts.

Please
or

Hepsibar · 05/01/2020 20:59

We went to Rovanemi, Finland with our children for 4 days, wish could have been 5 ... it goes up significantly each week nearer Christmas.

The highlights were the reindeer sledging, the husky sledging, the traditional foods a stories and berry juice in a hut in the woods with lady in full lapland dress, the feast in a very old chalet in the windows and Father Christmas arriving on a reindeer drawn sledge and the gala feast and then meeting him (but v v v long queue). Also went somewhere sledging which was good fun.

Not so good and pretty tacky was Santa World and another place in a cave.

Wish we had go on a proper ride on the skidu's but we ran out of £ and time !!

We also went swimming a lot in a wonderful local pool followed by a stop in a lovely local cafe with patisserie and also loads of wooden vintage toys that were fab.

Please
or

Carrie76 · 05/01/2020 21:03

We went this year for 4 nights, I booked everything myself. We did husky sledding, reindeer ride, snow mobile and a day of skiing which was the kids highlight. We saw Santa at santa village and also went to Santa park. The kids really enjoyed both but I found them a bit too touristy. We had a great time and it wasn’t crazy expensive as booking yourself you’re able to manage the cost better.

Please
or

Pidgythe2nd · 06/01/2020 06:49

Thank you everyone.
Going to get a quote from Canterbury today, then have a look at some of the others.
Wish I was brave enough to book everything separately but wouldn’t know where to start!

OP posts:
Please
or

Panicovereveryone · 06/01/2020 07:37

@pidgythe2nd
I emailed the local tourist information office and asked them if they had information on:
Huskey rides (loved that)
Santa trips (we tobogganed in his back garden, mage ginger biscuits and buns with mother Xmas, made cards that Santa signed, daughter sang a song to him and we chatted to him no queues)
Ski lessons
They made other suggestions (but we skied), and then they booked the lot. Simples Grin

Please
or

Panicovereveryone · 06/01/2020 07:38

Just for context. Canterbury was about £6k for 4 days. We did a week including skiing and passes/lessons £3.5K.

Please
or

Panicovereveryone · 06/01/2020 07:40

The Ruka Santa BTW is in his house and it’s one group at a time with him.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?