Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Marlay Park, Dublin

15 replies

BettyJean · 20/12/2019 11:22

We’ve just booked tickets to a gig at Marlay Park. We’ll be flying in to Dublin on the Saturday morning and back out on the Sunday night. I know there is a bus from the airport to central Dublin.

Just wondering where to book the hotel for 1 night. I’ve been to central Dublin a couple of times but not Marlay Park before. Are there frequent buses back from Marlay Park to Dublin and do they run at 9/10pm or would we be better staying somewhere near Marlay Park? If so, any recommendations?

OP posts:
Please
or

Emeraldshamrock · 20/12/2019 13:23

I'd stay near the park if possible purely because it is nearly impossible to get a taxi or bus after a Marley park event.
Though not sure if there are many hotels around Marley.
You can also get the airport hopper from Tallaght and Clondalkin, Tallafornia being the closest to Marley about 6 miles.
There is a good few hotels around those areas they're cheaper than the city if you're only staying 1 night.

Please
or

BettyJean · 20/12/2019 13:42

Thank you @emeraldshamrock. I’ll have a look tonight.

OP posts:
Please
or

AnFiadhRuaRua · 20/12/2019 14:27

Eooow dont stay in Tallaght! Id stay on the south side somewhere though.

Please
or

AnFiadhRuaRua · 20/12/2019 14:31

I think there's a travel l9dge in rathmines!

Please
or

TreestumpsAndTrampolines · 20/12/2019 14:35

I'm pretty sure Taylors Three Rock has rooms - and that's just at one corner of Marlay Park. I can't think of any other 'official' hotels walkable though off hand - there's some up at Sandyford, but that's a fair walk.

Please
or

TreestumpsAndTrampolines · 20/12/2019 14:36

Hmm. Maybe not. Sorry!

Please
or

Emeraldshamrock · 20/12/2019 14:39

Rathmines is pretty close though I don't think you'll get the airport bus.
It know it is €25 for a taxi from the city centre.
I'd stay in the city.
The airport bus will probably cost €7 each.

Please
or

TheLongRider · 20/12/2019 14:42

There will be extra buses laid on but traffic from the city centre is rubbish when the gigs are on. I live beside the park.

The concerts usually finish before midnight.

Please
or

BettyJean · 20/12/2019 14:53

If we stay somewhere on the south side of Dublin, near a Luas station, would that work?

Thinking we wouldn’t get stuck in traffic if we’re near a Luas station.

OP posts:
Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 20/12/2019 19:39

Used to live down the road from Marley Park many years ago though and know much has changed.

Please
or

TheLongRider · 20/12/2019 21:36

The nearest Luas station is probably Balally, about a 3km walk from the Park. The 16 bus is the main bus from the city centre.

Please
or

Emeraldshamrock · 20/12/2019 23:13

If you are not fussy you may get a air bnb close by though AFAIK marley usually rubs runs alongside another large event it is a bust time.
Leave 15 minutes before the concert ends you should pick up a taxi. There will be a bus though it'd be like a can of sardines.
If not start walking from the crowd you'll hail one.

Please
or

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 20/12/2019 23:39

The Clayton Hotel in Leopardstown/Sandyford is a short taxi ride away from Marlay, it’s beside a Luas stop and it’s a terminus for the airport Blue Bus (I think it has another name but everyone calls it the ‘blue bus’).

Please
or

Emeraldshamrock · 20/12/2019 23:46

It really depends on your budget OP.
Hotels range massively in Dublin.

Please
or

BettyJean · 21/12/2019 18:42

Thank you all. Rathmines seems like a good shout. A good compromise between central Dublin and Marlay Park. We’ve got the Sunday in Dublin too as we don’t fly out until the evening.

Looking forward to it already, Dublin is a lovely city to visit. Whenever we go, we always say we should go more often as it’s so simple to get to from where we are.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?