Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Food in croatia - good?

19 replies

Thelowquietsea · 10/12/2019 19:34

Food is really important to me when travelling - and I've heard mixed reviews of food in Croatia. I'm sure it will depend where we go, but wondered what people who've gone have thought?

OP posts:
Please
or

FreckledLeopard · 10/12/2019 19:47

Food has all been lovely when we've been out there. Lots of Italian influence up in the north around Pula. Lovely fish and seafood. And not too badly priced either.

Please
or

StCharlotte · 10/12/2019 20:49

As FreckledLeopard says there's a lot of Italian influence but I wouldn't say Croatia is foodie heaven. Having said that, these two restaurants were outstanding:

Northern Croatia (Opatija)
www.bevanda.hr/

Just outside the Dubrovnik city walls
www.nautikarestaurants.com/restaurant-nautika/

Please
or

wowsaidtheowl · 11/12/2019 14:44

We had then most amazing fish - beautiful sea bass and squid. However food in some of the more touristy spots wasn’t great - very salty and expensive.

Please
or

BusterTheBulldog · 11/12/2019 14:52

Found it very samey. Not bad at all, was just bored by about day 4 of 8 day holiday.

Please
or

Missillusioned · 11/12/2019 15:40

Croatian food can be quite basic. Meat and potatoes with veg kind of stuff, especially the further away you get from the Italian border.
It's not bad, as such, just plain.

Please
or

dreichXmas · 11/12/2019 16:20

I thought it was pleasant but a little basic, fresh fish and veg mostly.

We went to Bosnia as well and had some fantastic food there. One of the dc had the best macaroni cheese I have ever eaten, made with a fresh cheese of some sort.
We had more fish, but very fresh trout, with local herbs.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 11/12/2019 20:24

Found it very samey. Not bad at all, was just bored by about day 4 of 8 day holiday.

It depends where you eat. During the first holiday we had in Croatia we ate at one particular restaurant several times. I think we won them over when we first went by asking them to recommend local specialities to us, rather than sticking to what we knew. The food was outstanding. Elsewhere we had lovely fresh fish, pizza and standard Mediterranean food, but none of it was boring or samey.

Please
or

fussychica · 13/12/2019 16:24

Not particularly. We thought it was quite ordinary and a bit expensive in the resorts . The best meal we had was strukli in Zagreb, very hearty street food and a great pasta dish on one of the islands. We did a road trip so experienced the food in several parts of the country.

Please
or

ConverseAndGlitter · 13/12/2019 16:26

If you are going to Dubrovnik then Konoba Veranda in Stikovica is the best food in the area. Number 1 on TripAdvisor every year since it opened, for a good reason.

Please
or

Ragwort · 13/12/2019 16:29

I found it very disappointing, usually go to Turkey where the food is (to me) much more interesting and authentic. We had very ordinary pasta, pizza, bland chicken ... most interesting thing was a Greek salad.

Please
or

msmith501 · 13/12/2019 16:32

Food is Croatia is amazing... both local (and this varies from region to region) and imported flavours.... its generally heart, filling and sooo nice. Enjoy!

Please
or

TheBitchOfTheVicar · 13/12/2019 16:35

Plenty of seafood. Not cheap

Please
or

Oblomov19 · 13/12/2019 16:38

Food in Dubrovnik is superb.
We ate at Nautika (evening) and also Gradska Kavana (lunch), which both look out over the sea. Oh my word the food was some of the best I've ever eaten!

Please
or

blitzen · 13/12/2019 16:43

I did a food and drink tour of Dubrovnik on the first day there. It gave us a good idea of what was there plus insider tips of the best places to dine. Highly recommended.

Please
or

Greywind1523 · 13/12/2019 16:45

360 restaurant in Dubrovnik was one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten, however we did have a couple of meals elsewhere in Dubrovnik that were average.

Just try and avoid the places that are quite obviously geared up for tourists.

Please
or

Sparkletastic · 13/12/2019 16:58

Tends towards the good quality but simple. Ice cream is amazing thanks to the Italian influence. Almost everything is organic as a matter of course if that appeals. Not a gastro destination but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 14/12/2019 08:04

Agree re the ice cream. Can only use Split as an example but the food was fine, lots of European generic dishes as well as local specialties. It wasn’t cheap but no more than you’d pay here.

Please
or

Ragwort · 14/12/2019 08:41

Plenty of mixed opinions, I must have eating in the wrong places Grin, agree the ice cream is superb.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 14/12/2019 08:56

I think Croatia doesn't really have a defined cuisine that you can identify like you can with Italian, Gree or Turkish food. Croatia is just generally fresh, generic Mediterranean food.

On our first visit to Croatia we stayed in Baska Voda on the Makarska Riviera, and the food really was excellent. By the end of the week the waiter in the restaurant we went to most often would just recommend dishes to us. He was the only waiter who could speak English, and we could tell that he was pleased to have a family that just wanted to try the locl cuisine.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?