Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Rome in January - tips

12 replies

Derbyshirelady · 23/11/2019 14:20

Apart from take all the clothing we own as it will be freezing I think!

It’s DH 50th and first time we have left the kids for more than one night. Staying in Hotel Artemide for 3 nights. Any special restaurant recommendations or other things to do that aren’t in the guidebooks that I can surprise DH with while we are there?

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 23/11/2019 18:53

January 6 is a major holiday in Italy and other Catholic countries: It's the Day of the Kings. Winter sales usually begin sometime the first week in January. After that, Rome tourism drops to almost nothing. And then you can pretty much count on having a lot of sites, including the Sistine Chapel, to yourself. OK maybe the Sistine Chapel is not the best example, there are always people in there. But one winter I went and there were lots of places to sit down. You would not even see the benches other times of the year, because of how crowded it is.
Sometime in late January there is the blessing of the animals in St. Peter's Square. I have been and it's absolutely wonderful! Farmers bring their farm animals, but also locals bring their pets. You will also see a big parade of officials on horseback, in all their regalia.

Please
or

Derbyshirelady · 23/11/2019 20:51

Thanks ricekrispie! We are there in last week of Jan will look up the blessing of the animals.

OP posts:
Please
or

momoney1 · 23/11/2019 20:55

Do the 'roman food tour'

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 26/11/2019 01:08

7 restaurants have Michelin stars in Rome. There is one with 3 stars. I would see which one is within walking/taxi distance from the hotel and go for it. Assuming they are not closed in January of course! That would be an unforgettable meal!

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 26/11/2019 23:22

Take comfortable shoes.

Please
or

Derbyshirelady · 27/11/2019 05:18

Smile
OP posts:
Please
or

smemorata · 29/12/2019 10:18

Bumping this thread as we are also going to Rome - next week! Any more tips, please? We will also have kids with us.

Please
or

Parkermumma07 · 29/12/2019 10:26

We went in December last year and it was surprisingly warm, there is so much to see and do, definitely get a 3 day pass for the metro most of the stops are next to or near to landmarks, on the 1st Sunday of the months I think the Vatican is free to visit and on the last Sunday of the month the colusium is free to visit (might be the other way round sorry if I've got that wrong) Both were amazing.
The trevi fountain blew me away, and I've never tastes ice cream as amazing as in the stores in Rome.
Cant wait to go back one day.

Please
or

Mixitupalot · 29/12/2019 10:47

We went last jan & it was quite warm. It wasn’t particularly busy so we did all the usual to tourist spots. Id say do the guided tour of the Vatican/Sistine as it was so informative & interesting.

Yes to comfy shoes, don’t try an wear heels (as I seen some do) it’s to uneven. The best tip I can give is to avoid the food trucks around the streets especially at St. Peter’s bascilla as the food is state & the ice cream rotten... eat in cafes/restaurants. I also wouldn’t bother with the colosseum tour as it’s very very boring & IMO much more interesting from the outside.

Please
or

franklymydearidontgivea · 29/12/2019 12:02

Take a brolly 😬. It's not too cold, but when it rains, it really rains. Night tour of the colosseum if you can get one is fabulous, look at air B and B experiences they are usually quite good for things to do.

If you want good food at a reasonable price I can recommend this restaurant, it's not too far from your hotel.

Ristorante Mario's
Piazza del Grillo, 5, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 679 3725
goo.gl/maps/7yNc2a5FW4b1DEqHA

Don't miss the Pantheon, it's amazing, a small group tour around the forum is definitely worth paying for, it really puts everything into context and then makes discovering everything else on your own much easier.

Bocca Della Verrita is good to see if you are a fan of Audrey Hepburn and Roman Holiday 😁

I would not recommend the bus tours, everything whizzes past so quickly, you just get a glimpse.

Have good comfortable shoes and walk and wander would be my biggest recommendation, it's an easy city to navigate and there is something amazing around every corner.

Lots of amazing gelato shops too, they are a must, this is a good one, again not too far from your hotel

The Gelatist Via Nazionale 160
Via Nazionale, 160, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
+39 06 8953 3163
goo.gl/maps/HfZ4eqqMMqP6WXpA8

Enjoy, it's the most amazing city.

Please
or

Derbyshirelady · 29/12/2019 12:40

Great info thanks! Smemorata Have a great time - report back!

OP posts:
Please
or

florriepeck · 29/12/2019 14:55

I've only been in June, but would echo PPs' advice to wear comfortable shoes for those cobbled streets.
Shoes can make or break a holiday!
And it was all wonderful.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?