Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to take a break on A303 with 17m-old?

7 replies

MiriamW · 31/08/2002 12:10

We're off on our first long car journey with my rather active 17m-old ds. We want to take a break somewhere halfway between London and Cornwall to let off steam - any suggestions? I'm almost tempted to take M4/M5 in order to get the benefit of the service areas (yes I'm desperate!), but that would make the journey longer, as we're in the very South of London.

OP posts:
Please
or

SoupDragon · 31/08/2002 13:09

There's not a lot on the A303 up to Stonehenge and that's as far I as I travel along it from S London. There are small service stations with Little Chef "restaurants".

We used to travel this route to Cornwall for our family holidays when I was little and we used to stop on Dartmoor and have a picnic. Sometimes there were ponies there to look at.

We used to leave at 4am or something ridiculous!

Have fun! I have many many fond memories of Cornish holidays and in my memories, it never ever rained

Please
or

fairy · 31/08/2002 14:49

There is a Little Chef and Burger King about 2 miles onto the A303 when you join it from the M3. There are them all the way along really, another one soon before Stonehenge I think?

But there are plenty of services and petrol, also once you hit Wiltshire you also get alot more lay-bys. Hope this is helpful, we go down there regularly from Hampshire with our ds's and we have never had a problem so far.

Please
or

robinw · 31/08/2002 15:48

message withdrawn

Please
or

robinw · 31/08/2002 16:30

message withdrawn

Please
or

helenmc · 31/08/2002 21:36

Really really a nice pub at Wanborough next door to swindon - its got a great play ground and I think a it might have a bouncy castle and rabbits/chickens/pony, a couple of miles off junct 15 on the M4. I think it's called teh King's Head.

If you want a stopover (would recomend as it is a LOOOOOONG way to get to Cornwall) - Roves Farm outside Swindon is another briiliant farm with B&B.

This year we stooped at Stourhead (NT) which is just gardens with restaurant , toilets but great to run round.

Have a lovely holiday - Devon and Cornwall are one the best places in the world!!!

Please
or

allatsea · 01/09/2002 11:17

There are some Little Chef's on the A303, I stopped at the Countess Services recently and they were excellent with me and 6 month dd, although there isn't a lot of running around room for your 17mo. The A303 also goes near Longleat safari park

Please
or

charliesmummy · 03/09/2002 23:15

If you want to stop and let off steam, just past Stonehenge there are signs for Farmer Giles Farmstead, £4.95 for adults and under two's free. Its about 5 miles off the 303. We go about once a week and its a good way of letting my ds have a run around and see some Tractors and horseys at the same time!.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?