Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How long of a stopover to have in Athens?

10 replies

Tminus3days · 14/11/2019 09:40

We're looking at going to Crete early next year via Athens. We would love to spend a day or two in Athens on the way out. How long would you recommend there? Most of the flights land quite late in the evening and then the flights to Crete vary from early morning to late evening. We were thinking 2-3 nights with a late evening flight out to Crete. Would this give us enough time? I know time is relative but what do you all think? 2 nights would give us 1 full day and 1 partial day or 3 nights then would obviously give us 2 full days and 1 partial day.

OP posts:
Please
or

Teds77 · 14/11/2019 10:29

We did something similar but got the boat to Crete.

Landed late one evening and went straight to our apartment and cooked food there. We have younger kids but with older ones or adults you might get an evening meal out and soak in a bit of evening Athens.

Day 1 - kids walking tour/treasure hunt in morning which took in loads of sights. Then we did Acropolis Museum in afternoon.

Day 2 - Acropolis all morning. Lazy long lunch, park, playground, ice creams, beer and then taxi to the port for evening boat.

For us I wouldn’t have wanted an extra day but maybe an early morning flight the following day could have worked.

Please
or

SunnyFlover · 14/11/2019 21:19

@Tminus3days I would not advise to waste much time in Athens, with all do respect it's a rubbish city. I have never seen so many drug addicts wandering around in the broad daylight in the centre of the city... injecting themselves on the grassy roundabouts... Graffiti and rubbish is everywhere and it just saddens me how much of a "historical treasure" I though it was supposed to be. Extreme diss appointment.

Please
or

iwillnevereatspaghetti · 14/11/2019 21:28

2days should do it. It's a small city. Acropolis and the museum is a day in total. Then monistraki and a stroll on the second day. Damn hot in the summer !

Please
or

xtinak · 14/11/2019 21:50

It's not a small city it's got like 4 million inhabitants. It's not that easy to get around though. I think it's a great place but my advice would be you need to not think of it as a European tourist city because it doesn't really have those qualities. It's a huge living breathing place with the best and the worst. There are plenty of things to see and discover!

Please
or

SJane48S · 15/11/2019 06:43

It’s not a very lovely city -I’d stay long enough to see the Acropolis and a few museums, one day max.

Please
or

Soontobe60 · 15/11/2019 06:52

If you're going in summer it will be unbearably hot, so visiting the Acropolis should be an early morning or late afternoon activity. Don't even think about going in th middle of the day! We also went to the palace to see the changing of the guard, that was good. I'd just stay a night. Acropolis first thing, including the museum when it's warmer, then pop over to the palace. I'd also get a ferry to Crete, it's a great experience!

Please
or

tenredthings · 15/11/2019 07:04

I love Athens. You see evidence of its financial crash but in the sunshine this adds a kind of charm with crumbly graffitied architecture and wild flowers sprouting out the pavements. Amazing historic monuments everywhere, delicious food, really friendly people, great food market, very cheap too. 2 days is enough to see the important sites.

Please
or

Tminus3days · 15/11/2019 15:14

Thank you so much all! It's definitely worth contemplating the overnight ferry. I suffer with travel sickness, do you think I'm likely to get it on the sort of ferry going to crete?

OP posts:
Please
or

CatUnderTheStairs · 15/11/2019 15:22

I was there a month ago for a week mostly for work. I really liked it but I ran out of things to do.

It is run down but its friendly.

There's not a huge amount to do. Did the Parthenon as the latest entrance you could so it was quiet (it gets really busy).

We wandered round the streets a bit, went up to the church on the Hill by the wee train - which was nice -had a couple of nice evenings in roof top bars with fab views.

But I was rather scratching round for stuff and ended up taking the metro out out to the beach in the end for an afternoon.

Please
or

StCharlotte · 10/12/2019 21:25

I'd give it three nights if you're arriving in the evening. Two full days is plenty. I'm really glad I went although I wouldn't go again but when you touch the Acropolis and think it's been there for two and a half... thousand... years... The city is very atmospheric and lovely at night, especially round Plaka.

Crete's a long old haul by ferry from Athens (eight hours?). But they're big old beasts so you should be fine. The cats are faster but a lot are enclosed - much less enjoyable.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?