Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Panicking about New York spends!!

94 replies

VielBier · 10/11/2019 19:49

I'm taking my daughter to New York in January for 5 nights. I've saved up and I have 1800 dollars and have bought an attraction pass that will get us in to all the attractions we want to go to. Will this be enough? I was hoping to have around 3000 dollars but unexpected costs have hit this year. I don't have credit cards as I was stupid with them as a teenager. I'm terrified about running out of money while I'm there or having to really scrimp (think I get money anxiety!). Plus when speaking to people they reckoned they'd spent nearly £1000 a day... is it really that expensive there?

OP posts:
Please
or

ArsenicGreen · 10/11/2019 19:52

There are plenty of places you can go and things you can do within that budget - unless that is also for your hotel. Even then though you could manage - there is lots and lots to do that doesn’t cost anything!

Please
or

MummytoCSJH · 10/11/2019 19:53

I went for a week and had way less than that (also had attraction pass for most things) and some left over when I came back. I wouldn't worry with that whatsoever. It's really not that expensive and I have no idea how you'd spend 1000 a day!

Please
or

Lulualla · 10/11/2019 19:55

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.

You could totally manage 5 days with that amount, or you could spend that amount in 1 day. You need to cut your cloth accordingly so just budget and stay within it. If things are too expensive then you need to skip them. Do some free things, and also check any attractions to see if they are cheaper in the evenings or certain days etc. And choose food outlets carefully.

Please
or

OrangeHue · 10/11/2019 19:56

Is the £1800 for flights/hotel too? If not, you’ll be fine. Just budget but it is more than enough! I went in June last year and spent way less

Please
or

thatonesmine · 10/11/2019 19:58

Anyone who spends £1000 a day must be eating every meal in high-end restaurants. On my last trip with my son I think we spent a total of about £5000 for the week and that included our hotel.

Please
or

Bunnybigears · 10/11/2019 19:59

We didnt spend anywhere near £1000 a day!!! Eat hot dogs and pretzels from the food carts for lunch, Pizza from the non touristy pizza shops is incredibly cheap. Travel via subway instead of taxi with a 5 day pass. Staten Island ferry is free. Roosevelt Tram Way is included in the subway pass. Natural History Museum is pay what you can afford of you go to a cashier instead of a machine. We paid 1 dollar each.

Please
or

Iflyaway · 10/11/2019 20:01

speaking to people they reckoned they'd spent nearly £1000 a day..

You need to get new friends lol.

NY is not cheap but not that ridiculous!

As long as you have the flight and hotel booked, you can do it cheap by having a picnic in the park, ferry to the Statue of Liberty is free.
etc.

Please
or

user1019273703 · 10/11/2019 20:02

I have been twice. You can make it as cheap / expensive as you want. I only spent £1000 in 5 days and I got a watch and handbag with that. You can walk so much and see so much without spending an insane amount of money

Please
or

ohdavidattenborough · 10/11/2019 20:03

Crikey. We spent £66, £78 and £94 each of our days in NYC. We didn't have an attraction pass either and that was a family of 4!

Please
or

Iflyaway · 10/11/2019 20:04

I don't have credit cards

You will definitely need 1 for a trip to America/NY.

Just to check in to the hotel etc.

Please
or

RAINSh0wers · 10/11/2019 20:04

You could spend £1000 a day, but you don’t have to!

It’s like any city, you can go to expensive restaurants or you can grab a slice of pizza and people watch! The first night we were so exhausted with jet lag that we were in bed by 9 so it was a cheap night! If you eat a big breakfast you can skip lunch.

I’m guessing the attraction pass covers most of the big sites. Maybe work out before you go if there’s anything else you’ll want to do and budget for it (ice skating etc) so you know what’s left. There’s also free stuff, like the high line. Check out some of the museums as they do reduced/free entry on certain days.

How old is your daughter? Could she ask for spending money for Christmas so that she can do some shopping (if she wants to).

Please
or

curlscatsandkids · 10/11/2019 20:05

Hi Just returned from 5 nights there. As long as your hotel is not in that costing (already paid for?) you'll be fine!
The subway is cheap for each trip and you can easily walk between some places.
Take warm clothes (including hats, scarves and gloves) as it will be cold. Then you won't need to buy them.
Walk in Central park for free and the High Line too.
Trip to Statue of Liberty is comparatively cheap and amazing!
Meals can be expensive but choose carefully. Small coffee shops etc. and away from main tourist areas.
Don't expect to buy clothes or luxury goods cheaply as the exchange rate is so bad!
You'll have an amazing time!

Please
or

Tfoot75 · 10/11/2019 20:10

I expect they're talking about how much they spent shopping?! I think we spent around £500 on a 4 day trip a few years ago, we didn't shop at all as we're flying on to florida and it's far cheaper there. Ate at one high end restaurant and otherwise chain restaurants/delis. Had an attraction pass so paid nothing for activities out of that.

Please
or

CatUnderTheStairs · 10/11/2019 20:10

There’s loads of advice on line for good cheap eats and free cheap th8ngs to do.

Please
or

Strictly1972 · 10/11/2019 20:15

I went last week & took a lot so therefore spent a lot. There’s no way I could have got through £1000 per day! I came back & said to my friend I could have done it for around £1000 for 5 nights if I’d been more sensible & could have done it without scrimping. Remember portions are massive so you could maybe share. I found by having a big brekkie I wouldn’t eat until tea time & would just have a snack. Don’t feel obliged to leave big tips. I did leave tips but was surprised that the service overall was a bit crap so didn’t over tip. Look for sports bars/happy hours for food & the street food vendors are fine. Make sure they have an A hygiene rating. We filed our water bottles at the hotel each day. Alcohol is expensive so we got some duty free on the way out to have in our room at night. Also there’s loads of free things to do. The high line, vessel, walk through Chelsea & Greenwich, Central Park. One thing to check is any resort fees at the hotel.
Anyway, in summary I think you will be fine & will be able to enjoy with a few treat. Have a great time.

Please
or

Hellohah · 10/11/2019 20:20

I took teenage DS and my Mum earlier this year. We had the attraction pass and budgeted £300/day in addition. Between the 3 of us we spent £900, that was for 6 full days/nights. We didn't scrimp at all and DS spent about $100 dollars on clothes and my Mum about $80 on gifts.
Meals out were not expensive (and we ate in one Michelin star restaurant), alcohol is the expensive thing (did pay $27 for a cocktail).

Please
or

Lotus90 · 10/11/2019 20:23

That's plenty OP. More than enough in fact! Don't stress

Please
or

VielBier · 10/11/2019 20:26

Oh thank you all, you've settled my mind! Yes, hotel and flights already paid for, as well as attraction passes which include the hop on hop off bus, empire state, skating, 9-11 memorial etc - everything really. Even discounts at places like hard rock. I've got one of those pre-paid credit cards for dollars that I've been loading money onto that I'll use for the security deposit also. Was really starting to panic! We're pretty much staying next to the New York Times building, just been googling restaurants near there and burgers are only around $15, plus we both don't really like shopping... maybe the PP is right that I need new friends 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

VielBier · 10/11/2019 20:28

Just remembered the hotel includes breakfast also so that's another saving. Also daughter is 9 to answer a pp so she probably will get dollars for christmas off relatives. Thank you all so much, feel like I can chill a bit now and look forward to it rather than stressing!

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsEricBana · 10/11/2019 20:33

You'll be fine with that. A lot of the best things are free e.g. Times Sq, Grand Central Station, walking across Brooklyn Bridge, walking the Highline, exploring Central Park, Staten Island ferry to see the Manhattan Skyline & Statue of Liberty, you can go into the Met for free, walking up 5th Ave, Rockefeller Plaza and 30 Rock lobby, 911 Memorial, wandering around Greenwich Village, Soho etc, Battery Park. Subway cheap and good, cheaper food options, drinks but not meals at places like Ellen's Stardust Diner. You'll have an amazing time!

Please
or

Strictly1972 · 10/11/2019 20:39

You’ll be fine. This thread is giving me the post New York blues. I was ready to come back after 5 days as it’s intense but now I’m ready to go back again!

Please
or

Lulualla · 10/11/2019 20:40

She's 9? Then you really will be fine. I assumed teenager who'd want to shop and eat and all sorts. But she's 9... You can limit her expectations quite easily at 9.

Please
or

angell84 · 10/11/2019 20:42

1800 for five days!

I am going to New York next January for two weeks.

I have a budget of 600 dollara for two weeks

Please
or

VielBier · 10/11/2019 20:52

@angell84 I'm sure you'll be fine - I'm an incessant worrier about money. Plus I'm only panicking because I'll have my daughter with me. If it was just me going, I could probably survive on 50 quid a week for food 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

angell84 · 10/11/2019 20:55

@vielbier - yeah you can really do new york on any budget.

I won't be eating in restuarants - I will be buying one dollar pizza slices on the streets.

I want to do it cheaply

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?