Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New York & Washington trip - should I book a package?

10 replies

zc · 10/11/2019 18:22

Hoping to travel in Easter school holidays next year - 2 adults & 2 kids for a week split between NYC & Washington. Any advice on whether I will get a better deal booking a package or independently, I’m not sure where to start! Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

chipsandpeas · 10/11/2019 18:24

book seperately then imo you have more control, fly into one city then fly home from the other - train is about 4 hours between the 2 cities and run very frequently

Please
or

Frazzled74 · 10/11/2019 21:48

I’ve just booked similar with British airways, booked multi city flights plus one nights accommodation with them, the other hotels and train I’m booking myself either direct with hotel or booking.com.

Please
or

Thanksgiving2019 · 11/11/2019 06:23

It is easy and probably cheaper to book it all yourself.

Dc is a great City if your kids like museums. The air and space is a must and the Holocaust museum is also excellent. They have a children’s section which follows the story of a young Jewish boy and is very well done and suitable If your children are preteens.

Please
or

SJane48S · 11/11/2019 07:23

Look at both options, go with what’s cheaper.

Please
or

Whywhywhydeliliah · 11/11/2019 07:35

We flew into and out of New York, and the took the Amtrak to and from Washington. It was really easy as we got the red cap help at the station ( 3 kids, youngest was 2).
I booked everything separately, but didn't book any attractions in advance. In the end we did a lot of free stuff as the kids needed more relaxed time than expected. We spent a while day playing and walking around central park in NYC, and most days in Washington were half free museum then relax at the park/ by the poolside.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 11/11/2019 14:18

oh if you are wanting to go to the statute of liberty the ticket usually go on sale 6 months before and can sell out pretty quickly so i would def prebook that as soon as you can if you are wanting to go

Please
or

Expressedways · 11/11/2019 16:44

I’ve done this itinerary. We booked flights into D.C. and back from NY- you can do this on any airlines website but you may need to use an advanced search/multi city/desktop site to see the correct search options. Then we took the Amtrak train (book online on their website) in between which I’d really recommend. You don’t need to book a package.

Please
or

BoogleMcGroogle · 11/11/2019 20:29

We did this last Easter. Booked multi-city flights with BA an hotels through Expedia. The train is easy to book online. It's a great journey as you get to go through lots of other towns. If you have a couple of days spare, we hired a car and headed out to Shenandoah NP in Virginia. It was so easy to get to from DC and absolutely stunning. The Lonely Planet east coast USA is really helpful for planing.

We had a fabulous family holiday, so much fun. Enjoy your visit!

Please
or

zc · 11/11/2019 21:13

That’s really helpful - thanks for all your responses, I will go for booking independently & get planning! Reassuring to know it’s easily done.

OP posts:
Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 13/11/2019 05:16

When you get here make sure you make it clear you are referring to Washington, DC. Or just say “DC”. If you just say “Washington” people will assume you mean the state of Washington in the northwest. I clicked on this thread because I live in Washington and thought you meant here but you mean DC. You don’t want to end up buying tickets to the wrong place or being put on the wrong train.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?