Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Bali is it an interesting place to visit?

17 replies

noodleaddiction · 09/11/2019 16:55

Just looking at this as an idea
Is there much to see and do?
We generally like foodie stuff scenery wildlife . Grateful fir any comments

OP posts:
Please
or

Traveller104 · 09/11/2019 21:29

Hi, I lived in Bali for a few years, and yes, it is an interesting place to visit but you need to get away from the south coast and Kuta and get to the villages and temples in the more remote areas. It’s the Balinese culture that makes it interesting, find ceremonies and village events to watch (hotel staff will guide you on this).

Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 10/11/2019 09:45

Agree with Traveller - you need to avoid Kuta. We stayed in Ubud - loads of great restaurants, temples, great scenery, waterfalls to the north, monkeys at money forest.
Borneo would be a good option if you like wildlife.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 10/11/2019 09:52

I agree that you need to get away from the touristy bits. We didn't want to hire a car so hired a taxi for an afternoon to take us around. Bali is Australia's Majorca, and like Majorca it has its Magaluf (Kuta), and like the pretty, tourist free parts of Majorca it has lots of pretty, tourist free areas.

I was surprised at how densely populated Bali was. There is a lot of ribbon development along the main roads, and the locals hassle you a lot to buy from them. But it was a very interesting place to visit.

Please
or

SamBee1 · 19/11/2019 09:54

I've also lived there. It's an incredible place with children.

Don't just based yourself in one place. As per above 80% of the tourists are in the southern beach resorts and 15% in Ubud.

Explore the island, choose 3 or 4 different places. Ubud, the North Coast (calmer beaches), Menjangan National Park, Amed etc...

But whatever you do, don't go and spend 14 nights in Nusa Dua, Kuta etc, what a waste.

Please
or

SJane48S · 19/11/2019 15:22

I did stay in Kuta (many many many years ago) and the super cheap hotels, bars, bongs & plenty of good looking Australian men with not many clothes on were great! However, for any grown up over the age of 19 I'd imagine it's a nightmare.It was a genuinely beautiful place to visit outside of Kuta, great landscapes, people and food. I'd love to go back and see it more properly!

Please
or

GrumpyHoonMain · 19/11/2019 15:23

Depends where else you have been. In my opinion it was nothing special. I found Costa Rica, and in particular the area around La Fortuna, more awe-inspiring even though the holiday was cheaper and grittier.

Please
or

habibihabibi · 19/11/2019 15:29

The sea and beaches were much much more polluted than I expected.
We went outside peak Aussie invasion and travelled around the main and outer islands but
even the more remote places were absolutely teaming with the insta- crowd. I enjoyed it to an extent but wouldn'r hurry back.
For me it was a long long way to go to swim with dirty diapersShock

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 19/11/2019 15:54

I would recommend Canada, Japan, India, South Africa, Namibia, Argentina, Ecuador or Peru as having all you could want. In varying degrees.

Please
or

SamBee1 · 19/11/2019 16:35

Remember it's just a tiny dot in one of the worlds largest and most unique destinations. There aren't many places in the world you can combine with dragons, orang utans, tigers, volcanoes, and many, many places off the beaten tourist track. I'd always recommend combining with other places in Indonesia.

Please
or

SnowsInWater · 20/11/2019 02:54

I love Bali, we try and go twice a year, but if you get the chance would recommend that you take a side trip to the Gilli islands. Being used to Australian beaches I find the South coast Bali beaches very uninspiring, even the ones people rave about but we don't go there for beaches. There is something quite addictive about Bali, not quite sure why but we keep being drawn back.

Please
or

SnowsInWater · 20/11/2019 02:55

Oh, meant to say Seminyak has some really amazing restaurants. Part of the attraction for us.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 20/11/2019 10:01

We combined our visit to Bali with a mini cruise that took in Sumbawa and Komodo. The cruise was honestly one the best things I have ever done, although I believe there are going to be restrictions about visiting Komodo.

We stayed in Sanur Beach in Bali in a hotel built in typical Balinese style. I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by Bali due to just how densely populated and touristy it was - and this was 23 years ago. I imagine it has changed for the worse since then.

Please
or

fuzzyduck1 · 21/11/2019 07:59

Just back from a month over there.
Loved it apart from getting bitten by a fish!

Travel around
Kuta is its Benidorm
Ubud nice for sight seeing
Amed if your into diving.
Sanur beach area nice for a couple of days.
Gili islands are great. No cars or scooters a slower way of life.
Maybe a Few days in Komodo diving seeing the dragons
Temples are great.

Please
or

noodleaddiction · 22/11/2019 13:14

So sorry for vanishing didn't get the prompts to check back fir some reason
Thankyou fir all the replies and suggestions- still procrastinating about where to go after Bangkok but all sounds like there's good options busily reading guide books but I really love getting the views of people in here I find it much more helpful so thankyou all again

OP posts:
Please
or

Thelowquietsea · 10/12/2019 19:45

We went to Bali last July/August - I booked in a hurry, then spent months quietly worrying that I'd hate it. I didn't. I loved it BUT you have to really do your research and be careful about where you go

South - we stayed in Sanur which is meant to be the low key bit - but I didn't like the South at all (except 2 days surfing in Jimbaran Bay and loved that). Advice - stay out of the South
Ubud - gorgeous on the outskirts. Don't stay in the centre. We hardly ever went in and I love the surrounding areas
Amed - fabulous
Sideman - great village on the way
Gillis - fab

I dream of going back! And I'd go to the West and North, i think. And Komodo

There is something addictive about it.

The summer is the best months to go, if you are restricted by term time. Weather was fairly perfect - not at all humid. Sea was clean, although don't go to Bali for the beaches. They are very unimpressive - except Amed. Black volcanic sand (near Mount Agung) and great snorkelling. But these are not perfect swimming seas

People are just lovely

The smells are divine

Food is great

I just felt a real affinity with the place, I can't tell you why - I'm difficult to please travelling wise, so I surprised myself as it's a divisive place. You either love it or hate it.

Accommodation is also great. If you plan and book you can get some great deals

Please
or

nononever · 17/12/2019 11:29

Anyone going to Bali and considering Komodo do sooner rather than later as the government is considering bumping up the price from $10 to $1000 to set foot on the island.

Please
or

doingmeheadin · 22/12/2019 23:01

Wasn't a fan of Bali to be honest. We stayed in Seminyak, Sanur and Ubud. Didn't think any of it was that amazing, all very busy, dirty and not as many cultural sites as we would've liked. I definitely wouldn't go back in a hurry, apart from maybe to Waterbom as our son loved it. Strangely enough all of our Aus friends love it, so each to their own!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?