Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Help me with my trip to Mauritius in August please!

4 replies

trickynicky · 06/11/2019 13:04

We are planning on flying over to Mauritius during a trip we are taking to South Africa and can spend up to 2 weeks there... however, I have loads of questions and very grateful to anyone who may have been there!

1. We are travelling in August - I know the weather is "ok" but I understand North and West of the island may be better due to colder winds or something. Is that correct? There is a resort in the south that looks lovely and is protected by a mountain I think that may also be OK but I may have dreamt that!

2. We are not really interested in just sitting on a beach - although very happy to do that for at least half the time! We would also like to drive around the island and explore. Is this recommended? How is it driving there? Any safety issues?

3. We are looking for (albeit affordable) but definitely luxury 5 stars. Where would anyone recommend to stay?

4. Thinking of maybe doing 2 x separate hotels in 2 x differing parts of the island as we do like moving around - again is this a good idea do you think and where might be different to move to? Would prefer to be closer to the airport for the second hotel/place of stay as we have an early flight out of Mauritius.

5. Is there enough to keep us all occupied for 2 weeks do you think or is that too much? Family of 4 with older girls (16 and 22).

Thank SO much - all ideas very very welcome.
OP posts:
Please
or

charm8ed · 12/11/2019 15:50

We just got back from the South and it was very windy for half the week. The resort was great for kite surfing and windsurfing but most dats it was too windy to do SUP or kayak so I’d say really do your research before you book.

Please
or

charm8ed · 12/11/2019 15:52

Driving is fine and in the South there are lots of places of interest fairly close together.

Please
or

DailyFailstinks · 12/11/2019 15:52

I have driven in Mauritius. No problems at all - the roads are very good and standard of driving no worse than European countries such as Spain. As a single woman, I felt very safe.

Please
or

pashmina696 · 12/11/2019 22:27

I was there in July/August this year, pool was cooler than I would have liked, some hotels have heated pools, but sea was pretty warm though, our hotel had loads of water sports which kept my kids busy. We also did some boat trips, to see dolphins and snorkel. There are plenty day trip options and no shortage of tour companies to take you round them. No problem finding things to do over 2 weeks. Driving seemed absolutely fine, it felt very safe as well. We stayed in Flic en Flac, it rained a little but the weather is variable all over the island so they suggest go north if it is raining in the south etc.it was mid 20s and meant we could go for walks and sight see without feeling over-heated or needing shade.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?