Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Fear of flying books recommendations

8 replies

Lizbiz89 · 05/11/2019 08:30

So my oh might be taking a job in San Francisco which means we will be coming back and forth a lot. We also might be potentially moving out there as well so flying long haul would be a frequent thing. I absolutely hate flying. I get anxiety and an upset stomach before we get on the flight and I'm frankly so bloody sick of it. I really want to get a grip of this.

Can anyone recommend any good fear of flying books? There's loads on amazon but I'm unsure which one will be the best for me.

OP posts:
Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 05/11/2019 08:34

Soar. By Captain Tom Bunn. I used this for flying this past summer to Thailand. It seemed to work. You have my sympathy, I hope you get over your fear.

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 05/11/2019 09:15

I would also consider enrolling on one of the airlines fear of flying courses.

Please
or

Ghoulette1740 · 05/11/2019 09:20

Flying with confidence. Captain Steve Alright and Patricia Furness Smith

Please
or

Lizbiz89 · 05/11/2019 12:15

Thank you everyone. I've gone for flying with confidence as that seems to have good reviews. Fingers crossed it helps.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ghoulette1740 · 05/11/2019 12:20

I found it quite good Liz. I used the breathing exercises to cope with being on the plane.

Please
or

mummymeister · 06/11/2019 14:45

I had a chronic fear of flying and I take diazepam. I started off taking huge quantities but over the past 10 years have whittled it down to half a 2mg tablet. I tried all the other stuff - hynotherapy, flying courses, books, videos, relaxation tapes etc. but nothing worked so well as this. I make sure I have extra tablets with me in case of diversions or in case of midflight panic. I take an hour before take off. My GP is happy to prescribe and supportive of my cutting down each time. good luck

Please
or

Lizbiz89 · 06/11/2019 18:08

@mummymeister that's a very good idea should all else fail. I've start reading flying with confidence and if that does nothing then I'll definitely go to my doctors.

OP posts:
Please
or

mummymeister · 07/11/2019 09:30

LizBiz - Its like having a safety net with me now. The dose is probably so low that it makes no difference but I have it there if I need it. Before I did this I couldnt meet people from airports, drive nearby and even planes in films freaked me out. but because I have been able to take the time to work through it, initially with the very high dose of diazepam, I feel in control of it now rather than the other way around. good luck.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?