Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cape Verde

12 replies

Babysharkdoodoodood · 19/10/2019 23:57

Looking at this for next year. Haven't booked leave yet.

Has anyone been? What's the best time of year? DH is worried there'll be nothing to do. I'm not. That's why I want to goGrin

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

EveryDayIsLikeMonday · 20/10/2019 09:16

We went this year and loved it. Definitely a marmite destination though! It's warm all year round but quite windy in the winter. Not a lot to do other than relax, which is exactly what we wanted.

Please
or

chocolatesaltyballs22 · 20/10/2019 09:21

I'm going next Easter. Never been but my research suggests that there's nothing to do but sunbathe and eat which suits me perfectly!

Please
or

EveryDayIsLikeMonday · 20/10/2019 09:24

Which island @chocolatesaltyballs22 ? We went to Sal.

Please
or

chocolatesaltyballs22 · 20/10/2019 09:24

Yep I'm going to Sal, staying at the Riu Funana.

Please
or

EveryDayIsLikeMonday · 20/10/2019 09:36

We used this guy for an island tour. Much cheaper than TUI and he's local so everyone on the island seems to know him!
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudHJpcGFkdmlzb3IuY29tL0F0dHJhY3Rpb25dXVtbwww.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g482848-d11671248-Reviews-Caramau_Tours-Santa_Maria_Ilha_do_Sal.html Review-g482848-d11671248-Reviews-CaramauuTours-SantaMariaaIlhadoo_Sal.html

Please
or

WTCT · 20/10/2019 09:39

We have been to Boa Vista twice, once in June, once in October. Once pre-kids, once post kids. Both times, it’s been lovely and warm, perfect for just chilling out and splashing in the pool.

We love it precisely because there is nothing to do.

It is a developing country. Other than the hotels there is very, very little to do and see.

If that’s your kind of holiday, you’ll love it. If not... you really won’t.

Please
or

DeadBod · 20/10/2019 09:40

I quite fancied Cape Verde for a holiday but I was put off. A travel consultant told me that it was ok but people only went the once. A colleague told me it was windy and you can't swim in the sea as the currents are too strong.
I suppose it's perfect if you just want to sunbathe and eat though.

Please
or

KittyCrackers · 20/10/2019 09:52

HI OP - we went to the Riu Palace Boa Vista in July and I disagree with those who say there was nothing to do! The kids (and my husband) all did their Padi Open Water diving course over the two weeks, so we had a dive every alternate day. We went on two 4x4 tours of the island and it is barren, but beautiful! Like being on Mars but with the best beaches you've ever seen. We did a sailing ship Prosecco cruise with an amazing swim stop in the middle of the ocean. Our absolute favourite was the night time safari to the beach where the turtles lay their eggs under a million stars... it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and the kids will never forget it. We swam in the sea every day, snorkelled, went for long walks to the awesome beach bar over the next dune... yes, we spent days at the pool but we were also out and about. It was lovely. 29 degrees most days and a gentle breeze off the sea... perfect! And the food was FANTASTIC!

Please
or

Duvetdweller · 20/10/2019 09:59

We hated it. The food was dreadful, the staff made you feel like they didn’t want you there, the pools were freezing and there was nothing to do.

Please
or

EveryDayIsLikeMonday · 20/10/2019 10:26

We went in August, which was a perfect temperature for us (high 20s), a gentle breeze and safe swimming. I believe that spring is quite different due to the wind... it's kite surfing season, which says it all!

Please
or

tuttifritti · 20/10/2019 16:33

Surprised by some of these answers. We went twice. To the same place. We have travelled really far and wide and rarely to all inclusive and we really liked it.
The people are simply lovely. We have kept in touch with one lady.
There is not a ton to do but I would say there is enough. We went to the Melia Dunas on Sal.
The food splits opinion. It's worth remembering that very little grows on the Islands and they are remote so supplies come in by ship and therefore have to have a long shelf life. There is plenty of fresh fish. This does limit the variety but I would say it's not fair to say the food is terrible.
I think the value for money is exceptional.

Please
or

stevenshannah268 · 30/10/2019 12:10

My husband and I came back from an amazing cruise to Cape Verde last year with a company called Unforgettable Cruises. On our cruise we visited 6 islands and had lots of fun activities planned for us each day, we definitely weren't bored!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?