Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Advice for a heart healing adventure

15 replies

Flowerpot26 · 15/10/2019 20:12

Hi, I've not long lost my mum after a long illness which I was a main carer, and I'm broken. I'm in much need of some space, happy times and some fun. We have a 18m old which makes it tricky, but where would you suggest for a holiday?

We are UK based I really wanted to go to Australia to see two sets of our friends, but even I think this maybe two much travel for the little one, with flight and heat, husband isnt kean either. But I feel this is our chance for a longer holiday before we maybe try for another baby next year, everything is a mess, I just want to escape, I don't want a weekend away or a week in Devon, I need some excitement, I cant tell you how awfully sad things have been and think I'm going to burst soon, thanks for any advice, would like 2-3 weeks, upto 6grand, and maybe Dec time xx

OP posts:
Please
or

HappyHolidays75 · 15/10/2019 20:27

Sorry for the loss of your mum.
How much adventure are you after?
On a scale of backpacking to all inclusive?
South east Asia would be my plan....Vietnam, sri Lanka, malaysia, thailand. Or closer to home Morrocco Turkey Egypt (not sure on weather).

Please
or

HappyHolidays75 · 15/10/2019 20:28

Australia would certainly be doable too, maybe via Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for a couple of nights to break up the long flight.

Please
or

LuluBellaBlue · 15/10/2019 20:29

What about Costa Rica the Caribbean coast? Lovely weather too!

Please
or

Flowerpot26 · 15/10/2019 20:30

Thanks for replying, I'm not sure really, I need to be realistic with a toddler, the benfit of australia would be staying with friends, rather than trotting about by ourselfs. I just don't know what's feesble

OP posts:
Please
or

MyStory3 · 15/10/2019 20:31

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you're going through this. Don't mean to put a dampner on it, but i think that journey to Australia would be pretty difficult with an 18mth old. What about a trip around Europe?

Please
or

Flowerpot26 · 15/10/2019 20:35

Where would be warm in Europe and child friendly? Xx

OP posts:
Please
or

SaintEyning · 15/10/2019 20:39

Australia (though it is my nightmare due to the presence of many spiders - NZ much preferable) is really doable with a toddler. Stop off in Dubai for a couple of days on the way there and back and maybe also even Singapore for a night or two to make the flights (cheaper) and shorter. Toddlers seem to get over jet lag more easily than adults! It will be getting hotter now (was rainy and max 17 degrees last week) but Melbourne is usually much more manageable. Maybe hit Sydney first. Though my instinct would scream that NZ and a camper van for a month is much more fun! I lost a parent this year too and haven’t been able to do the heart healing trip yet due to work and school and finances but for us a little road trip round the east coast USA is on the cards next summer. Sending ❤️

Please
or

PlatinumBrunette · 15/10/2019 20:46

I'm so sorry for your loss

Please
or

Flowerpot26 · 15/10/2019 20:55

Ooh a camper! Not even thought, tho a camper in Dec? Europe? Where, does sound fun tho

OP posts:
Please
or

fatulousatforty · 15/10/2019 21:11

Train down the leg of Italy, staying wherever takes your fancy.
A few days in Sicily and then the ferry to Malta and fly home

Please
or

HappyHolidays75 · 15/10/2019 21:30

Are you active with a toddler at home? Days out etc? If so you can do anywhere. They'll be happy (most of the time) to have you available non-stop.
NZ camper van would be fun. Loads of outdoor stuff, freedom for toddler, hikes with toddler in backpack. Only with having a camper though if you keep moving. We hired a much cheaper car instead and stayed in small cottages or backpackers places where little legs could run free.
Can you do similar in Oz?
Long haul flights are to be endured but that's the same with or without kids.
Very southern Spain or Portugal too? Guessing warm enough?

Please
or

namechangaroonie · 15/10/2019 21:35

I’m another vote for Asia. It’s just so completely different - I went on a round the world trip when my dad died, and Asia was where I felt most like I had the space and perspective to grieve properly.

There are some great deals on flights to Bangkok right now too (I know, because I keep trying to run away with Ds again!)

I’m sorry you have had such a tough time, wherever you go, I hope you find peace Flowers

Please
or

Flowerpot26 · 15/10/2019 21:42

Thanks so much everyone, in one breath I think right I'm going to do this with or without husband, and look at australia flights, and then the next I have a reality check, I defo need to travel and just breathe. im South East england, maybe we could get a camper and go up to the peaks or Scotland I know winter won't be the best time, I just feel like a need to go soon I don't want to have to wait 6 months. Hope everyone has good good trips planned thanks again x

OP posts:
Please
or

Gruelty · 15/10/2019 21:52

I went to Australia with an 18 mth toddler. On my own to see my best friend. It was fine. I took lots of snacks for her and a few bits of duplo and some books. The other passengers were great. There was a rugby team who were lovely to her kept her amused (showing off to their girlfriends). I think it will do you the world of good to see your friends. So sorry for your loss.

Please
or

hairyturkey · 15/10/2019 22:02

Aus is totally doable. Stop off in Singapore for a couple of days each way which is brilliant in itself for kids.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?