Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Help! How do I get my friend on a flight tomorrow? New flight anxiety!

2 replies

HPMac22 · 11/10/2019 18:59

Hi there,

I have incredibly bad anxiety and I am absolutely terrible on flights so really I should know what to do but I don't (considering I am bad myself). I think I can just about cope but my friend developed a horrific fear of flying on their last 3 flights and they have been in an awful way the last few days thinking about the flight home. They have had to have oxygen and nearly had to be injected with valium on the way out. Please help me - how do I get them on the plane? Like me they have been suffering from shortness of breath the last few days just thinking about it. I have valium but they think they will start to have a panic attack just because they don't like medicine and what it does to them. It has blighted our holiday. I have some valium and was thinking about giving a little to them in a drink (non-alcoholic) to take the pressure off? What other techniques or suggestions can you offer? For me not much works but I have learnt to at least get on a plane with valium and hypnotherapy. I don't think that will work with this friend. This is a very sudden and very chronic fear (it happened on the way out to this holiday x 3 flights). Please help. Its a 7 hour flight and I need to make sure they get on and then we can get them into therapy.

Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

Myimaginarycathasfleas · 11/10/2019 20:19

Well first, your friend needs to get her head round the fact that it's the only way she'll get home, and the sooner she's on the plane the sooner she can be back in her own bed.

Also, remember that plane travel is incredibly safe, and for the pilot and cabin crew, it's just a routine part of their day. If they don't look worried, she shouldn't be.

Take advantage of all the entertainment going, they will really help pass the time. If you can find a row of empty seats where you can lie down and sleep, do so.

And finally, if you close your eyes, flying feels exactly the same as being on a train. So unless your friend is afraid of rail travel I'd encourage her to try that.

Please
or

BBBaby8369 · 13/10/2019 05:10

Next year go on a cruise, train, car, coach holiday !

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?