Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Rail holiday in Europe

4 replies

foxandhounds · 28/09/2019 20:28

Hi
We are thing of doing a rail holiday to Europe next August with 2 teenagers (14 and 16). I'd like to go to Slovenia or Croatia via maybe Interlaaken- would like to make a couple of short stops along the way then have 7 or 8 nights somewhere to chill out - total of maybe 15 or 16 nights away- has anyone done anything like this and has any tips? Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

tribpot · 28/09/2019 20:35

First of all get yourself over to Seat 61 for all the info you could need on rail travel in Europe.

I think the Man in Seat 61 has just retweeted someone doing a route that might be of interest to you in Eastern Europe worth a look?

I've done this in Western Europe a couple of times with my ds, now 14. What I will say is that having to carry the suitcases can be a bit of a pain. You've got older kids and another adult, though, which may help (last year my ds also had a fractured ankle and we were moving on to a new city every other day - we took it much easier this year).

Good idea to have a block of time in one place at the end. I've been considering using luggage forwarding to get round the problem of not being able to carry enough stuff for a two week holiday.

Please
or

foxandhounds · 28/09/2019 21:18

Thank you for replying will take a look at that.

The lugging of suitcases does concern me a bit but we can all carry our own and one of the kids is definitely up for it, other one less sure! Would need to travel light.

I think a lot of planning needed!!will keep us busy over the winter

OP posts:
Please
or

deplorabelle · 29/09/2019 22:35

It doesn't sound like you need THAT much luggage. It's possible to pack pretty light for a summer holiday. Other things you could consider are 1) sending items to yourself "poste restante" at a post office near where you are staying (I did this with children's toys when my kids were little) 2) bringing three days worth of clothes and washing them 3) intentionally planning to buy some clothes on holiday. If the route permits it, look at sleeper services to cover a lot of miles in comfort. I second using Seat 61 to help you plan itineraries. Travel there and back on different routes to make the most of the opportunity to see different places by going by train.

Please
or

lj10m75 · 02/10/2019 02:56

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?