Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to find legal medicine information

5 replies

LittleLostThing · 25/09/2019 14:34

I’m travelling to Costa Rica next month and due to my ill health I have an awful lot of medication that I need to take with me. I have prescriptions for all my medicine but also planning on taking a first aid kit with a few over the counter medications (omeprazol, Nytol and co-codamol).

I’ve found lots of information stating that you need prescriptions for all medications taken into Costa Rica and you can’t take more than you’ll need for your stay. But I can’t find anything about specific medicines.

The Laura Plummer case has made me a lot more aware I need to check this stuff before I go (although I’m not taking 500 tramadol tablets without a prescription obviously!). One of my prescribed medications is diazepam and I just can’t find any information anywhere to say whether this is legal or not. If it’s not then it’s not a huge problem, I can probably get GP to prescribe something else.

Any ideas?

OP posts:
Please
or

LittleLostThing · 25/09/2019 18:25

Hopeful bump

OP posts:
Please
or

Twila1 · 25/09/2019 18:58

Please
or

AuntieMaggie · 25/09/2019 19:10

Personally I wouldn't travel anywhere with codeine based products without a prescription as it's banned in some countries.

Please
or

LittleLostThing · 25/09/2019 20:27

auntiemaggie that’s what I’m trying to find out. I’ll probably just take bog standard paracetamol rather than the co codamol so that’s not too much of an issue. I’m prescribed a fairly hefty dose of diazepam, I have the prescriptions for it and will only take what I need but I can’t find out if it’s actually legal or not.

I emailed the embassy a couple of weeks ago and they just directed me to the uk travel recommendations for Costa Rica and a link to the Costa Rica health department which is all in Spanish. No information on actual legality of specific medications.

Dh is of the opinion that as it’s a massive tourist destination and diazepam is a fairly standard medication there would be more information if it was actually illegal. I’m just a worrier and don’t want to spend my dream holiday in prison.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?