Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Helsinki for the day...

15 replies

surlycurly · 18/09/2019 21:09

So for whatever reason I shall be in Helsinki for the day. What should I do/ see? Thanks in advance...

OP posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 18/09/2019 23:42

It is a great city for modern architecture (early 20th c onwards) so, if that interests you, and in no particular order, Alvar Aalto's house, Temppeliaukio Rock Church, Central Railway Station, Finlandia Hall, Kamppi Chapel. The trams are great and I seem to remember that line 14 passes through a lot of the architectural sights. The Cathedral of Helsinki and the Senate Square are impressive too, as are the many Art Deco-ish apartment buildings all over the place.. The market at the end of Esplanadi Bld is ok, not that interesting.

Please
or

surlycurly · 19/09/2019 06:59

Wow thank you that's great! Now if I can get a recommendation for a museum and and some lunch then I should be all set!

OP posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 19/09/2019 08:31

I'd recommend the Design Museum which also has a cafe. It's the Design District and pretty central. Stockmann Department Store also has some cafes and restaurants and is good for a browse.

Please
or

DontFeedTheCatCake · 19/09/2019 08:36

We went out to Suomenlinna Island by ferry. If you are going in winter, even better, as the boat makes its way through the frozen sea!

Please
or

surlycurly · 19/09/2019 20:00

I'm so excited! I've wanted to go forever.

OP posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 20/09/2019 14:59

It's a beautiful and elegant city. I'm sure you'll love it.

Please
or

notmrscookie · 21/09/2019 18:10

I flew to Helskini for a night before doing Estonia and Latvia and Lithuania..it was fab did the island , rock church and mini bus tour ..it was fab but expensive.

Please
or

surlycurly · 22/09/2019 07:16

I wondered about the finances! I've spent a bit of time on Scandinavia and it's expensive there- I'm assuming it's comparable?!?

OP posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 22/09/2019 10:28

Yes, I'd say it's similar to eg Sweden. Hotels are expensive and so is eating out so you need to look around for less expensive options.

Please
or

EmmaGrundyForPM · 22/09/2019 10:30

I've not been but my son goes often and he says it's really expensive. Presumably not an issue if you're only going for the day though!

Please
or

surlycurly · 22/09/2019 10:32

Yip- won't be staying there. Just entry to museums/ a couple of meals/ drinks to pay for really. I would like to go for a few weeks and tour about but the costs put me off. Although if you're rural then accommodation doesn't look to bad.

OP posts:
Please
or

TalkingCucumberMoon · 22/09/2019 11:14

I really like Seurasaari open air museum. The season is probably over already, but you can wander around for free. It's about a 20 min bus ride from the centre.

Please
or

surlycurly · 22/09/2019 11:23

Thank you- I'll have a google!

OP posts:
Please
or

DorisDaysDadsDogsDead · 25/09/2019 00:59

I always like to visit Zetor restaurant. It has a very amusing menu, and tractors in the bar! They used to do a dish called "Finnish Vegetables" which was basically meat...

Please
or

surlycurly · 26/09/2019 20:14

@DorisDaysDadsDogsDead wow- just wow- that menu looks glorious. I'm definitely going there!!!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?