Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone flown longhaul by Economy Light?

14 replies

LifeImplosionImminent · 17/09/2019 21:56

I'm still fuming about Virgin's stupid new pricing - has anyone flown economy light and not noticed a difference? Or is it worth paying the extra and flying economy standard?

OP posts:
Please
or

Peony99 · 17/09/2019 22:02

We did Virgin economy light a few months ago, and I think the only difference was paying for bags (we're light packers, so not a problem) and not choosing seats. Unlike Ryanair they do keep you together, and I'm not fussed about where in the plane I sit.

So for us it worked out fine, and gave a bit of a saving.

Please
or

LifeImplosionImminent · 17/09/2019 22:08

@Peony99 Thanks - what about food? is it the same seats or smaller?

OP posts:
Please
or

Peony99 · 17/09/2019 22:09

You're in the same cabin, so same seats and food. No difference at all once you're on the plane.

Please
or

LifeImplosionImminent · 17/09/2019 22:14

Oh I thought you had to pay extra for food and wouldn't put it past them to reduce the seat picth so only 5 year olds and younger feel comfortable! Food for thought...pardon the pun!

OP posts:
Please
or

LifeImplosionImminent · 17/09/2019 22:15

*pitch

OP posts:
Please
or

Butternutsqoosh · 17/09/2019 22:23

Exactly the same food drinks and service all included, normal size seat (economy delight is extra legroom seat) but hand luggage only

Please
or

LifeImplosionImminent · 17/09/2019 22:38

So if the fare is £200 cheaper on lite but you pay £100 for checked bag - it's a good deal...you just get on the plane last and since you book your seats a day in advance it doesn't really matter.

OP posts:
Please
or

AlwaysCheddar · 18/09/2019 06:23

Don’t you board the plane last too....

Please
or

LoreleiRock · 18/09/2019 06:26

I do this (unless company is paying) as I travel very very light. And I choose to get on plane last anyway. I think it is a no-brainer.

Please
or

pimbee · 18/09/2019 06:48

Economy light is just a way for virgin to be able to compete on price comparison sites, if you go on their site and do a mock booking you can highlight either one and it clearly shows what you get with each one. A lot of the airlines do it now.

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 18/09/2019 06:56

Flown both Virgin light and Air Canada

Only difference is baggage and no chance to get upgraded.

And managed two weeks in Canada on hand luggage only.

Please
or

stucknoue · 18/09/2019 07:07

Ba has this long haul now too, ideal if you travel hand luggage only. I think you still get fed and watered for now - but a friend who works in the industry said expect alcoholic drinks to become chargeable very soon on all airlines (already is on many carriers) and the food to be phased out/chargeable in advance over the next 5 years. The issue is that prices for flights are so cheap, they need to claw back money where they can buy if you need to sit together, especially bigger groups you need to pay to check in early etc (as per normal it seems last time I flew there was a family demanding that multiple people are moved so her family were together thankfully the cabin crew help firm and said that the kids were one in front and one behind her, that was fine to meet regs - full plane so in rows of 3 there's often lots of singles

Please
or

oreosoreosoreos · 18/09/2019 07:10

We flew with them in the summer and didn't notice a difference apart from the luggage.

I'm not sure if you can choose your seats for free too if you're not on the cheapest fare? We could only choose ours the day before when we checked in, but at least they seem to automatically sit families together wherever possible (as opposed to Ryanair who seem to purposefully sit you apart Hmm). Apart from one adult needing to sit with our youngest we weren't fussed about sitting all together anyway, so was fine for us.

One thing to remember with Virgin - you have to book kids meals in advance, or they'll just be given the adult one. Worked fine on the way out, but our home flight was changed to a Delta one - it's their partner airline, but because we'd booked via Virgin we couldn't check in online on either the Virgin app or Delta one, so couldn't order the kids meal - or sort seats out until we got to the airport!

Please
or

lovelyupnorth · 18/09/2019 09:16

For me I’d rather pay for the bits I want and a cheaper fair initially.

Flown west jet to Canada and with them you pay for meals and drinks but they bring plenty of water round.

All the traditional flag carriers are having to catch up which is ace as I’m happy to do with out so many of the expensive bits.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?