Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Amsterdam in December

4 replies

Fivefootoffun · 15/09/2019 01:10

We have previously been to Amsterdam mid December and really enjoyed the small selection of markets and the decorations etc.

Looking to return this year but can only go on 2nd - 5th. Looks as though (according to their websites) the markets won’t have started by then. Does anyone know if this is the case? Or if there would be any on or much in the way of Christmas festivities at this stage in the month? Taking 2 DC this time so would be keen for some festive activities. Thanks in advance for any advice before I book flights.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivefootoffun · 15/09/2019 08:50

Bump

OP posts:
Please
or

backatschool · 15/09/2019 09:05

I live in Amsterdam. The Xmas markets start in mid December so you won't be there for those. Sintaklaas (imagine a rather stern Father Xmas with a selection of sooty helpers - a whole other conversation - google it) is celebrated 19th Nov to 5th Dec, so what we think of as typical Christmas festivities and decorations etc start immediately afterwards. That said, the ice rink may be out in Museumplein by then - but generally it's a much later start to Xmas than in the UK. Still fabulous though!!

Please
or

Fivefootoffun · 15/09/2019 10:01

Thanks so much @backatschool that’s exactly the info I needed. Suppose if there’s any kind of hint of Xmas it would keep DC happy! Really appreciate the feedback, thanks so much.

OP posts:
Please
or

lj10m75 · 02/10/2019 03:02

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?