Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Frequent visitors to NYC, please help!

15 replies

thefirstmrsdewinter · 10/09/2019 01:23

Can you recommend some fun, un-touristy, offbeat stuff to do? And/or somewhere to eat dinner? Tomorrow we're taking the ferry from NJ to 35th St, planning to stay for Tues night, maybe Wed night too. I've looked at TONY, the New Yorker, NYT arts section etc and we still haven't settled on anything to do when we get there.
One of us is a free spirit who thinks we'll figure it out when we get there, the other is getting twitchy. We're both frequent visitors but usually have some sort of itinerary to hang everything on.
So far I'm thinking of booking a tour of Lincoln Center. That's all I've got though!

OP posts:
Please
or

ZaraW · 10/09/2019 11:12

Bike the Big Apple have good tours of Brooklyn, The Bronx and Harlem. I loved all of them.

Please
or

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 10/09/2019 11:19

Ariel tram to Roosevelt island is pretty cool, it's on the MTA system. We had some great food at dinosaur bbq, and also at Amy Ruth's, Both in Harlem. Had some amazing pie at 4 and 20 blackbirds in Brooklyn too.

Please
or

ZaraW · 10/09/2019 11:24

Forgot to say even though it's totally touristy the food tours of Greenwich Village go to some great small restaurants and cafes.

Please
or

thefirstmrsdewinter · 10/09/2019 15:02

Thanks, all great ideas!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 11/09/2019 05:12

City Hall station freetoursbyfoot.com/city-hall-subway-station/
Gulliver’s Gate gulliversgate.com
Smorgasburg www.smorgasburg.com
MoMath
Houdini Museum www.houdinimuseumny.com/visit/
Babycastles babycastles.com

Please
or

thefirstmrsdewinter · 11/09/2019 14:53

Thanks Rice, that's an excellent collection of oddball stuff. 🙂
Putting all these suggestions in the long-term file as we often have this problem. I'm with my mum, who is very resistant to planning anything.

OP posts:
Please
or

thefirstmrsdewinter · 11/09/2019 15:01

Zara that sounds brilliant. When I said 'untouristy' I really just meant to exclude the more obvious stuff, not because it isn't great fun but because over the years we've probably done it (I used to live nearby and my mum lives here). I'm pretty out of the loop on new visitors' stuff like restaurants and fun day-trip stuff, so that ticks those boxes.

OP posts:
Please
or

ZaraW · 11/09/2019 16:34

thefirstmrsdewinter the food tours are great. We went on two and the leaders have a theatrical background they were really, really good. We did the aerial tram ride on one of the Brooklyn tours you have a great view of the UN. It's nice to interact with the leaders New Yorkers always have a good story or two to share. Cycling in NYC was pretty cool.

Please
or

LoreleiRock · 11/09/2019 16:36

Arthur Avenue.

Please
or

jackparlabane · 11/09/2019 16:44

Tour of the United Nations building is great.

Please
or

zafferana · 11/09/2019 18:14

The Tenement Museum
The High Line
The Vessel & Hudson Yards
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge or take the E. River Ferry
1 World Trade viewing deck
Flour Shop
Chinatown Icecream Factory

Please
or

thefirstmrsdewinter · 11/09/2019 20:06

zafferana your list reads almost exactly like the itinerary of my last trip here with dh. It was about 200 degrees in the TM and they gave us fans.
I love the CICF!

OP posts:
Please
or

BoogleMcGroogle · 11/09/2019 20:54

Near the Tenement Museum, the Eldridge Street Synagogue is fascinating, beautiful and well worth a visit. I love just pottering around that neighbourhood. The guides are volunteers, and can be fabulous. And then stop at Katz's for the world's most expensive salt beef bagel....

Please
or

nearlynermal · 11/09/2019 22:04

I totally second Bike the Big Apple. I did the Brooklyn/Williamsburg tour with Jesse and it was fab.

Also Attaboy for cocktails (Eldridge st). Sit at the bar.

And the Gramercy tavern--great for a cosy autumn lunch (a colleague once told me, with no embarrassment l, that she used to meet her current husband there while she was two timing her then husband.)

Also the round the island boat ride.

Please
or

MummytoCSJH · 11/09/2019 22:07

We really enjoyed the United Nations tour as well!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?