Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How do we book an "open jaw" flight to Oz?

9 replies

carbriana · 07/09/2019 09:07

We want to book return flights to Sydney via Singapore, that will also allow us to break the journey and stay in Singapore for a few days on the outward leg of the journey. I'm pretty sure this isn't an unusual thing to do, and I've picked up that it's called an "Open Jaw" flight (yes?). But we've visited the websites of several major airlines (BA, Qantas, Singapore Airlines) and a couple of flight comparison sights and can't see any way to search for it. They all just seem to advertise standard return flights. DH says we will need to go to a travel agent, but I'm not giving up yet ... what am I missing?

OP posts:
Please
or

QuiltyBefevered · 07/09/2019 09:19

Other than clicking on the "multi stop" option if you're looking online I've been able to stop at HK, Singapore etc for a few days on our way to Oz and NZ when sitting with the travel agent. They don't have any of the limitations us regular mortals have when online.

Please
or

NannyR · 07/09/2019 09:22

"Open jaw" is flying into one city and out of another, flying into los Angeles, travelling overland then flying out of San Francisco, for example. You need to look for the multi city option on the websites.

Please
or

Aragog · 07/09/2019 09:33

Most, like BA and Virgin for example, just have a multi stop option as a tab.

Some airlines that do regular stop overs (like Emirates and Etihad)just list them as options when displaying flights - you can the tweak how long the stop over is from a hour or so to a couple of days or more.

Please
or

Aragog · 07/09/2019 09:34

We've just done it online in the past. Don't think I've visited a travel agents for decades!

Please
or

PenguinsRabbits · 07/09/2019 18:39

On BA its the multi stop option. Same on Skyscanner - multi-city.

Please
or

SnowsInWater · 09/09/2019 04:06

I did this last year flying from Sydney to Europe, stopping off in Singapore for five nights on the way home. It's just a multi city booking - we flew Singapore Airlines and you could do it online easily.

Please
or

MeganTheVegan · 09/09/2019 04:24

We do this when travelling. You need to pick an airline that has Singapore as it’s hub.

Please
or

funmummy48 · 18/09/2019 07:56

We're just about to do it with Singapore Airlines. You select a multi-city trip at the beginning and can then add in any extra flights you need.

Please
or

AnchorDownDeepBreath · 18/09/2019 08:06

Yeah this isn't open jaw, that's when you fly back from a different city. This is a multi stop holiday. We did it two years ago without a travel agent, wasn't too bad Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?