Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Gite in France with 9 month old - what about food?

3 replies

Manfwood · 21/08/2002 16:49

We are staying in Gite in Normandy in September and not sure what to do about food for ds who will be 9 months. the gite has good facilities (well sound good) including microwave and 'baby mixer' but dont want to spend all time making food. i know french baby food is supposed to be very good but hope this could be opportunity for ds to start eating more normal food chopped up etc but not sure how he will like this as of course it will be very different to English food.

what have other people done?

Thanks a lot

Manf

OP posts:
Please
or

aloha · 21/08/2002 17:06

We went to a gite in France with 10mo old ds, and had a great time. We did use quite a lot of jars as, even though he turns his nose up at English jar food, loved the Bledichef range in France (I think it's tastier). We tended to supplement his diet with stuff from our plates. He also liked cheese, chips, french bread, pate on toast and bread, croissants (esp chocolate ones), chocolate mousse, pasta in tomato sauce, coq au vin sauce, and his first omelette, cooked for him specially in a restaurant (and cost £2). We cut it up and he ate it with his fingers. He also ate a lot of the Bledi brand baby biscuits which were a godsend for long car journeys & had honey -flavoured baby porridge for breakfast - all available in every supermarket. French food's not really that different to English food IMO, especially in Normandy. BTW I took jars of food for the journey there and for the journey back as that is the most convenient thing to do. And remember, if you have a dishwasher you won't need to sterile bottles, if you use them. Have a lovely time!

Please
or

bayleaf · 21/08/2002 20:25

Ditto - our dd is milk allergic but I still managed to find plenty of jars in France for her - and even found the same soya desserts that she has here - in fact the first time we went she hadn't been eating jars in the Uk , just fresh home produced stuff ( simply becasue she refused to, I have nothing against jars!) but when offered a French jar she ate it all no probs - so maybe French stuff is tastier!

Please
or

Lindy · 21/08/2002 20:52

We took our 7 month old to Normandy last year & had no problems at all - he loved french bread, croissants, yogurts, fruit, chips (!) & the odd jar of babyfood - I have heard it's tastier than the English but could never bring myself to try either!! We were camping & had a great time, off again next week but to the Vendee this time and now he's 18 months so I don't anticipate any problems with the food.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?