My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

can you use a switch card in Florida?

8 replies

triplets · 12/09/2004 11:38

Hi,
We are off 4 weeks today, hurricanes allowing! We are taking credit cards plus cash. Can I use my switch card to withdraw money from cash machines?

OP posts:
sammac · 12/09/2004 12:23

Yes you can. We always do this and have had no problems. Some machines will charge you for it, but they will be signed.

august24 · 12/09/2004 12:55

Recently I used my Natwest card in the US. It is labeled switch. I had no problem at ATM machines, and could use it at stores that accepted debit cards(where I had to put in my ATM) it didn't work at stores that only used credit cards. Not sure if this helps!

triplets · 12/09/2004 16:23

Hi
Thanks, will try to use it instead of giving my credit cards a hammering!

OP posts:
misdee · 12/09/2004 16:56

i think it will work if machines are also marked maestro and cirrus. i remember using my card over in spain years ago with a machine with cirrus symbol.

triplets · 13/09/2004 08:52

Thanks, does anyone know what the charges are for using it?

OP posts:
pupuce · 13/09/2004 09:19

Every bank is different can be a $1 or more.... what about travellers' cheques ? It's safe and easy!

Hulababy · 13/09/2004 09:20

Also, with travellers cheques - in Florida they happily take traveller's cheques in shops and restaurants as they would do cash.

SoupDragon · 13/09/2004 09:30

Phone with your bank to check before you go. We tried to use ours in Antigua and couldn't get them to work. You wouldn't want to get stuck there with no access to more cash Had no problems with HSBC switch acards in Florida though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.